Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get the new ON1 Photo 10 and Save $100 Today. Use Code: GetPhoto10 View Offer

Donna Nook

26 Nov 2008 7:23PM
I'm off to Donna Nook to photograph the seals this weekend, any advice?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

26 Nov 2008 7:24PM

Quote:any advice
Wear thermals ;-0
graceland 11 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2008 7:25PM
Last time i went

1--- Poured with rain

2--- No seals !!

3--- Cold
csurry 13 9.2k 92
26 Nov 2008 7:27PM
Wrap up warm and respect the animals, it's their environment.
Boyd 12 11.2k 11 Wales
26 Nov 2008 7:30PM
Last time I went they played loads of their hits; Sylvia's Mother, Sexy Eyes, When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman...

...last time I make my travel arrangements with deaf old Suziblue.

chase Plus
10 1.1k 245 England
26 Nov 2008 7:52PM
Take a hot drink,plenty of thermals,several pairs of gloves & socks,a silly wooly hat & some waterproofs....a place not for the fainthearted !
tomcat Plus
10 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2008 9:04PM
I can echo that Janet Smile

Lat December it must have been one of the coldest places on the British Isles

Ah well
See what Horsey brings on the 13th Dec

27 Nov 2008 9:34PM
echo the above comments.... lots of layers and waterproof trousers as well as jacket Smile and a really good warm hat is a must..... Smile

And wellies.... not walking boots.. its a long way out to the beach.... so be aware of the tide times...
Nick_w Plus
8 4.2k 99 England
27 Nov 2008 9:42PM
I can only echo all what has been said. Try to wrap up the camera with plastic bag if it is not weather sealed. Mine was wrapped up but I still had problems with the driving snow and sand - it get everywherem, as Cheryl points out respect the seals, and don't forget to appreciate the awesome sight, its easy to forget everything and just shoot everything. You will enjoy it..oh get there early if you want to get parked.
keithh Plus
11 24.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Nov 2008 10:31PM
and you'll need a brand new baking tray which you will have to steal off your missus under cover of darkness and then leave it someone elses car.....oh...and your coffees gone cold.
Nick_w Plus
8 4.2k 99 England
27 Nov 2008 11:42PM
PMSL @ Keith - It cost me 5.39 to replace that flask from ASDA, oh well still a great day out.

Have you needed a jump start recently Keith Wink
cliff449 7 8 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2008 11:13AM
Re Donna Nook,

For anyone else all of the above apply, additionaly:

1. Check the tide tables
2. Take a plastic bag to lie on, this will keep you dry and get better images by being nice and low (eye level with the seals).
3. Watch and observe and just take it all in if you can

samfurlong 9 2.5k United Kingdom
2 Dec 2008 12:54PM
I just got back from a weekend shooting at Donna Nook.
The pup numbers are at their peak right now and I was lucky enough to get some sunnny spells in between the cloud. Had a fair bit of fog but still got some nice atmospheric pics in that too!!

As has been said it's bleedin' cold so wrap up warm (i perfected my 'bank robber' look, had my coat and two jumpers on, then head to toe waterproofs & wellies so I could lie in the sand and not get covered without having to lug a tray or bin liner around.
A backpack or waistbelt is handy to carry your stuff in (forget shoulder bags) and don't stress too much about taping up your gear and covering it in annoying plastic bags, at this time of year the sand is permanently wet so the sand doesn't blow around and if it rains then make sure you have something you can pull out of your bag and put over the camera.
I found it very weird the amount of people using tripods there, apart from lugging a heavy tripod (and it needs to be fairly substantial to use with long lenses) over a mile over the sand to the sea edge, it's a right pain to use quicky. Fights between the males and couples mating happen very quickly and by the time you've moved a tripod you'll often have missed the action. Get a good monopod instead to take the weight off your arms and keep the ISO up (unless you are lucky enough to have a sunny day).

Check the tide tables and make sure you don't get cut off.
Large parts of Donna Nook are like a flippin zoo with all the daytrippers and when you walk out to the sandbanks there can be hoards of other photographers which can be annoying when they get in the back of your shots but more annoying when they stray too close to the seals and change the behaviour that you are trying so hard to capture.

Do a bit a research and walking and you will be rewarded with a more lonely spot. I found a place with loads and loads of seals (more than the main colony by the fence) and NO people (I didn't see a single other photographer on Friday or Saturday)!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.