dont know pink floyd

14 Nov 2014 7:25PM
thanks for replies downloaded a best of
reaper4252 10 2 9 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2014 7:35PM
Dark Side of the Moon for sure
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
14 Nov 2014 11:30PM
In all fairness Lemmy, it does have its own genre; British Rock, and nothing wrong with it either.Smile
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
15 Nov 2014 1:35AM
There a band that have stood the test of time, youngsters today are still buying their albums.
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
15 Nov 2014 10:57AM

Quote:In all fairness Lemmy, it does have its own genre; British Rock, and nothing wrong with it either

I think that Pink Floyd far transcend 'British rock' - I would think they are one of the best known and most successful bands in the world and as well known in the USA or China as any rock band.

I wasn't saying anything except I had never understood how parochial and inward looking ghetto culture was until then. Lives are lived without reference to the world outside. When we talked about rap artists, I knew at least some the names he talked about. But he'd never heard of Elvis Presley either.

That's why I find the culture of young radical Muslim extremists less astonishing than some. They live in a culture that looks inward, all its references are self -referential and unmoderated by the wider world.

But I've digressed and sorry. Dark Side of the Moon has sold over 50,000,000 copies since 1973! I started reminiscing as a result of Bricurtis's observation about leading a sheltered life Blush
cambirder 17 7.2k England
15 Nov 2014 5:20PM
Lots of peoples lists start with DSOTM, but you really need to go back at least one album to Meddle, if only to own the track Echos.

There some great live versions of Echos from Gilmour's live tours just before Rick died. I would highly commend The DVD / Blue ray of the RHA gigs "Remember that Night" which has lots of Floyd stuff on it some of it going way back.
16 Nov 2014 7:17AM
So the rumours aren't true.Wink
16 Nov 2014 7:34AM
Lemmy, when I was researching to buy a new high end stereo system in the early '80s, all done with magazines, and a couple of visits to some very good music shops in Toronto, there were 3 albums that were highly recommended for their technical quality; The Wall, and no other Pink Floyd album was mentioned; Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes; and a CD of recordings of radial engines, all to demonstrate the best technical quality at the time; I purchased all 3. I believe they are still competitive.

It is not surprising to find pockets of people, even large ones such as the ghettos of some of the large cities in the US, who live in self-imposed isolation. Many of them are religion based, and the sufferers end up being the children born into those societies usually.

I recently read Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett, and it was shocking to read of how certain societies were supressed, and used to try and further obscure ideas that were bordering on insanity. However, reading the book, one realises that the arts cannot be totally suppressed by any group; music, poetry, books, paintings, and photography seems to thrive under those conditions. Creative people will always find a way, no matter how vicious the regimes that try to suppress their voices.
16 Nov 2014 10:02AM

Quote:It is not surprising to find pockets of people, even large ones such as the ghettos of some of the large cities in the US, who live in self-imposed isolation.

It was not that he did not know who Pink Floyd were. What I said was that he did not know what 'rock music' was.

I accept that that does not surprise you but It did surprise me. This is someone living in California, across the bay from San Francisco and his isolation (he wouldn't see it that way, he'd see it as not knowing about things irrelevant to him) is not self-imposed. It is also by no standards a 'pocket of people'.

I have been to remote parts of Africa and India where they knew what rock music was and, in fact, listened to it.

Geoffphoto 15 13.5k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2014 11:44AM

Quote:I have been to remote parts of Africa and India where they knew what rock music was and, in fact, listened to it.

A few years ago we had a driver in Burma (which was then virtually closed off to the West and rock music was virtually illegal ) who was a huge Deep Purple fan, we had to send him CD's that he could not get in Rangoon !!!! Rock will find a way !
16 Nov 2014 12:54PM

Quote:who was a huge Deep Purple fan, we had to send him CD's that he could not get in Rangoon !!!! Rock will find a way

It's so heartening, something like that - music is the international language. The absurdity of banning it!
altitude50 17 21.8k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2014 3:01PM
I have been a Pink Floyd fan since the very early days. I wore one vinyl copy of 'Dark Side' out by repeated playing.
I have just listened to 'The Endless River' - to be honest there is some very good guitar work but there is no heart or surprise to it and I didn't feel the desire to play it a second time................Sounds very much like 'On an Island 2'.
3 Dec 2014 3:13PM

Quote: and I didn't feel the desire to play it a second time
You do know that criticizing the Floyd is blasphemy do you? Punishable by a sentence of listening to Coldplay until you recant. Be warned, most blasphemers recant within the hour.

robbenwick 20 55 2 England
3 Dec 2014 3:16PM
I have always enjoyed listening to Pink Floyd, my earliest adventures were with Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma and Meddle. Then along came Dark Side Of The Moon which we all know broke the mould. I'd have loved to have a go at taking the photos for an album cover.
Rev2 11 302 2 England
3 Dec 2014 8:15PM
My copy of The Endless River cuts off after each track for a split second. Do I have a duff copy can anyone tell me?

p.s. went to a good friend's funeral today and Comfortably Numb was playing as we entered the room. Made me think what I should choose.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.