Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Downloading jpegs off a 450D

dontforgetme 17 1.7k 7 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2010 6:50PM
A friends daughter has bought a Canon 450D and taken lots of jpegs, but now needs to get them on her computer.

Without having one of these cameras I couldnt tell her exactly how this is done, but assumed there would have been a usb cable and either the files could be copied straight from the camera, in Explorer (with the camera and memory card acting like a drive), of via some software supplied with the camera?

Can anyone confirm which, and if the latter, what the software she needs to use is called please

Regards
Julisn
15 Mar 2010 6:57PM
i use card reader and picasa 3 works even with raw files except for most recent canons
cambirder 17 7.2k England
15 Mar 2010 7:00PM
It should have come with cable and software, but by far the best solution would be to buy a card reader and copy the images directly from the memory card.
User_Removed 11 718 9 England
15 Mar 2010 7:26PM
If there is a laptop involved you could simply take the memory card out and insert it into the card slot on the side of the laptop.
15 Mar 2010 7:29PM
Thanks. The card reader isnt an option as she doesnt have one and needs to get the images off tonight!
She has tried to load the software but it wants .NET framework loaded first, and on her slow machine I dont think it will work very well?

Anyone know what the program is called?

Jules
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2010 7:33PM

Quote:She has tried to load the software but it wants .NET framework loaded first, and on her slow machine I dont think it will work very well?

Should work OK - the .net framework is quite an efficient bit of code so it shouldn't cause a problem as long as you have the disk space.
15 Mar 2010 8:03PM
Many thanks, shes loaded the utility and is happily copying files across.

Thanks again
Jules
15 Mar 2010 8:44PM
Try Irfanview, it uses very few resources and it can open RAW files from my Canon 450. Make sure you download and install the plugins as well, it can play almost every type of picture and movie file on the market.
Spirit 11 10 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2010 9:07PM
It should be very straightforward (it is for me anyway with my 450D)

Yes, the 450D uses a standard mini USB cable. She will have had one supplied wit the camera. Connect and switch on the camera. Windows will recognise the camera and ask what you want to do.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.