Dreamy bokeh in video

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
22 Nov 2015 3:07AM
I could use my lensbaby`s, but I`m thinking a tilt adapter could also be useful and it would put a few of my old legacy lenses to better use.

What are your thoughts ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb 12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2015 12:52PM
I'm (still) on the verge of buying a tilt/shift lens, mainly for interiors/architecture, but I like the idea of doing some creative portrait work with it.
Is the adapter you mention available for all camera bodies, or just 4/3 etc?
Either way, it looks like quite a neat tool.
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2015 1:07PM
I don't like some of the bokeh examples in the video you posted - I love good bokeh but I like it behind or in front of the subject, it sometimes looks Photoshopped when it's elsewhere.

Am also intrigued by the adaptor Smile I've never heard of them til today.

My guess is you can only use it with the kind of lens that needs an adaptor in the first place - you could never use it with native lenses without it working like an extension tube.

I'm excited to find out if this can sort out verticals like a real-tilt shift lens does. Off to do some research Smile
22 Nov 2015 8:45PM

Quote:I don't like some of the bokeh examples in the video you posted - I love good bokeh but I like it behind or in front of the subject, it sometimes looks Photoshopped when it's elsewhere

Think "The Diving Bell And The Butterfly"

Or "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and the countless other films, adverts, music video`s produced using lensbaby`s.

You have probably seen stuff on TV and not even noticed a lensbaby was used.

Quote:My guess is you can only use it with the kind of lens that needs an adaptor in the first place - you could never use it with native lenses without it working like an extension tube

Yes these are for old legacy lenses.

Quote:I'm excited to find out if this can sort out verticals like a real-tilt shift lens does. Off to do some research

Your going to want a tilt and shift adapter, you can get these as well, more expensive though.
22 Nov 2015 8:48PM

Quote:I'm (still) on the verge of buying a tilt/shift lens, mainly for interiors/architecture, but I like the idea of doing some creative portrait work with it.
Is the adapter you mention available for all camera bodies, or just 4/3 etc?
Either way, it looks like quite a neat tool.

You can get tilt shift adapters, there not the same as I linked to, you can get tilt adapters (usally pretty cheap) and tilt shift adapter (more expensive)
22 Nov 2015 9:58PM
23 Nov 2015 12:29AM
There's some shocking prices. Why are some so expensive, have they got any glass in them? The tilt only go from 30 to 130 then the tilt and shift can be twice that. If I had three hands I'd do it by freelensing and blocking the light with some black cloth or what-have-you Grin

I have some gorgeous M42 lenses but I'm so much into video that I want all my lenses to have image stabilization and I'm considering selling the M42s off. I like to shoot hand-held or with stabiliser but not on tripod.
23 Nov 2015 1:16AM

Freelensing is fine if your happy with or want movement but you can`t lock it down. my lensbaby 2.0 is very similar, as in in needs to be held in one place unless I`m panning or feathering and then its constantly moving.

For locked tilt I could use my old 3g or add a tilt adapter and then mess with a few old Nikon lenses.

23 Nov 2015 11:44PM

Quote:There's some shocking prices. Why are some so expensive, have they got any glass in them? The tilt only go from 30 to 130 then the tilt and shift can be twice that. If I had three hands I'd do it by freelensing and blocking the light with some black cloth or what-have-you Grin

Have you seen some of the prices for your bog basic lens adapters, some of these sell between two and three hundred pounds, some brands just charge more I think, though I will pay no more than 20 to 30, I paid about a tenner for my last adapter.

Quote:I have some gorgeous M42 lenses but I'm so much into video that I want all my lenses to have image stabilization and I'm considering selling the M42s off. I like to shoot hand-held or with stabiliser but not on tripod.

Are these any good Chris

This is my old 3G attached to my GF2, it needed an adapter as all my lensbaby`s are a 4/3 fit.

599_1448321952.jpg

24 Nov 2015 1:06AM
Those Afunta stabilizers are okay for the price, but don't expect silky smooth, used in conjunction with an IS lens you can get reasonable results but nowhere near as good as you'd get with something like a Pilotfly H1 or similar.
Sylar 11 133 England
24 Nov 2015 11:46AM
For interior shots I use a Nikon 14-24, f2.8, but its an expensive lens for d750.
24 Nov 2015 9:23PM

Quote:Those Afunta stabilizers are okay for the price, but don't expect silky smooth, used in conjunction with an IS lens you can get reasonable results but nowhere near as good as you'd get with something like a Pilotfly H1 or similar.

Guess we are pretty spoilt with the built in IS of the Olympus bodies, any lens including legacy and my lensbabys will have stabilization.
24 Nov 2015 9:31PM
The great strength of Olympus is the IBIS for video, the weakness is the poor quality of the video codecs. Panasonic add a lot of video features borrowed from their broadcast video cameras. It's swings and roundabouts. I'd love to use my Oly 17mm lens more for video, hand-held there's too much jitter, it has to be on a fluid head tripod or on a gimbal etc - which of course is very inconvenient.

Before I bought the GH4 I kept hoping Olympus would bring out a body with better video, with 4k video etc but they never did and I'd outgrown the GX7 for video.

24 Nov 2015 10:02PM
Yeh its all swings and roundabouts.

The video on my EM5 can can manage basic stuff but it easily falls apart when pushed, the video on my GF2 is much better but I have no stabilization.
25 Nov 2015 4:48PM
I tested the new Vlog and shot this in a mix of conditions. Look at the gorgeous colours near the end, that's how much it can be pushed. It's also fine in the shadows, but things like mist and darker grass falls to bits when YouTube compresses it especially at the start

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.