Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Dropped my Stylus-9000

weybrew 1 1 United States
1 Nov 2017 12:44PM
I have dropped my Stylus-9000 while it was ON. Now it is OFF but still has the lens extended. I see no other external damage. When I press ON, I hear it trying to move the lens stack but failing that it shuts down. Can this be repaired? Is there a DIY fix? Would it be cost prohibitive?

Both of my local camera shops have stopped on-site repair service. Suggestions for repair company?.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

shagnasty 12 44
1 Nov 2017 1:21PM
Suggestion 1 - try taking the battery out and then seeing if the lens can be coaxed gently back into its home position. If that doesn't work then
Suggestion 2 - Contact Olympus at 3500 Corporate Parkway, PO Box 610, Center Valley PA 18034-0610 USA tel 484 896 5000. They should be able to guide you to a local repair shop

Hope this helps
Pat
Cephus Plus
14 2.5k England
1 Nov 2017 4:15PM
weybrew 1 1 United States
1 Nov 2017 5:40PM
Thanks for your reply, shagnasty. Tried your first suggestion without success. Have contacted Olympus and they no longer repair this model but did refer me to a repair center.
1 Nov 2017 8:44PM
Of no help whatsoever....but a couple of years back I dropped my Canon G9 from about a metre onto a carpeted floor...result was lens refused to retract...Canon quoted a three figure sum to repair...

Went on E-bay, and maybe I was lucky, but I picked up a G9 in better nick than mine was, all the usual bits to go with it, plus two lenses and a leather case...for less than Canon's original repair quote...

My point being, that in today's "throw away" society, sadly, maybe we're forced to consider such daft options....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.