Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Dry plate photography

sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2020 11:46AM
I'm interested to try my hand at some dry glass plate photography for a project I want to do this year to celebrate the centenary of nursing registration. I have just purchased a second hand 4x5 antique Thornton Pickard camera for the job (I haven't unpacked it yet and it will likely need a little DIY to make it usable). I'd be interested to learn if anyone here has dabbled, and if so what lessons you learned from the experience? I'd also love to hear if anyone has tips on where to purchase the necessary supplies. Whilst I'm not too averse to preparing my own plates, I understand that I am likely to improve my chances of success by using pre-prepared plates.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Jun 2020 1:44PM
I have the same half-plate camera which I picked up complete with original tripod.
I'm sure that John Brewer is local-ish to you. He's your wet plate man to talk to and he does (or did) workshops.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
26 Jun 2020 1:46PM
Sounds like a fascinating project.

I think you may have to coat your own float glass... Supplies of emulsion etc can be had from Silverprint here...
https://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Emulsion-and-Coating/products/547/

Just as an aside, very early in my career during the 1970s I worked for one of the oldest established Studios, Norman Mays in Malvern, stored in the darkroom was a large quantity of glass plate negatives including images of George Bernard Shaw on the hills, I found out that when the studio moved they all ended up in the skip.

Please keep us informed on your progress.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.