Dungeness

Strobe 12 1.3k United States
23 Jul 2008 12:43PM
Hi,
I would like to plan a trip to Dungeness later this your and was hoping for some advice / tips regarding the area as I have never been there:
- Which time of the year would be better for light Winter or Summer?
- Where is a good place to base myself ?
- Will 2 days be long enough to explore the area ?
- Are there any specific places in the area you would suggest ?

Thank you
Marc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

randomrubble 15 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2008 2:11PM
Point by point

- Light's potentially good at ant time of the year, though I prefer winter. Generally evenings are best. I actualy like more it when the sun is just down.

- Rye has some nice hotels, Folkestone is larger and still close. hastings/St leonards is best of course Wink

- Could be. If you can get there on a day when there is a trip on to the Sound Mirrors then it's well worth seeing as well. There's plenty of other stuff nearby if you want a longer stay.

- Loads... The Sound Mirros, the dunes at Camber Rye, Winchelsea, Pett Level, Rye Harbour, Hastings...
24 Jul 2008 2:14PM
Thanks Barry Sound Mirrors sounds like a plan.

Cheers
Marc
Phil_Morgan 13 182 1 Wales
25 Jul 2008 9:35PM
Not been myself yet, but take a look at David Constables folio for plenty of ideas Smile

Phil.
25 Jul 2008 9:39PM

Quote:Not been myself yet, but take a look at David Constables folio for plenty of ideas

Phil.

Thanks Phil I will do that
Sezz 15 619 15 England
25 Jul 2008 10:15PM
Dungeness is such a unique location, I've never been anywhere quite like it! I have been at all times of the day although probably recommend late afternoon/evening - saying that my shots have been taken just after lunch so....... The lighthouses are interesting to visit as well as all the boats - some interesting history there. I agree with Randomrubble re a visit to Rye, Winchelsea and Hastings if you're in the area.

Sarah Smile
User_Removed 12 485 13 England
27 Jul 2008 9:25AM
Marc not sure about where to stay, but i would say the closer the better in all honesty.

As for the time of year then Summer/Autumn/Winter all have their merits. The light obviously disappears much faster in winter but if you get down there for say 2pm have a quick scan around then start shooting around 4pm ish in winter. Summer obviously you have far more time. If going in winter take warm clothing and a flask as believe me it gets bloody cold, especially if there is northerly wind.

As for what to shoot, best leave that up to you. You will see all the obvious stuff like the abandoned boats etc and that will give you lots of material. If the weather is good and you get a good sunset then the lighthouse and powerstation make a good back drop. There are a load of shots i have put into an album for you in my PF if you want to take a look. Anything else just ask mate

rgds
Dave
29 Jul 2008 7:32PM
Thanks a lot Sarah and Dave Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.