Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

dust. on nikon d300s sensor

LenShepherd 8 3.1k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 3:11PM

Quote:
Yes but....the sensor could be 100% obscured and not seen in the viewfinder because initially, the mirror is in the way - and the outside world, via the lens is the ONLY thing you see in the viewfinder..?

I agree. Thanks for pointing out my error.
Dust or marks on the sensor would show in LiveView, especially zoomed in on an image of a plain white card or blue sky.
I think we both agree what is being described is not accurately described, or extremely puzzling.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dazzaman 10 631 England
3 Sep 2012 3:24PM
ok guys, i tried shooting a plain white card last night,zoomed in 100% and the black dot wasnt there.i cleaned the mirror using a giotto rocket blower several times,but the mark is still there.i think its poss in the viewfinder.
Focus_Man 6 481 631 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 3:28PM

Quote:I've just purchased a d300s from mpb photographic it's in absolutely mint condition.but there's one issue,when you look through the viewfinder there's a nasty black spot stuck in the left corner.it's showing up on the images when I zoom up.I've tried blowing it off,but it won't budge.any ideas.

No mention here about the result on the image, only seeing the black spot in the viewfinder. That is why I thought it could be damage to the mirror - which will not affect the final picture.
3 Sep 2012 4:58PM

Quote:Dust or marks on the sensor would show in LiveView

I was deliberately avoiding mention of Live-View to avoid muddying the waters more...!! Wink

Quote:No mention here about the result on the image, only seeing the black spot in the viewfinder

....And that's what I was trying to get to the bottom of...!! Dazza...I think this is where we're puzzled - if you get the black spot on the resultant image (viewed when reviewing after taking-or on the PC screen-or printed out photo) OR only in the viewfinder on initial composing...(and this may well disappear if you're zooming in at the time I think..).
Paul Morgan 15 18.2k 6 England
3 Sep 2012 6:02PM
Can the focusing screen be removed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.