Dust-Aid sensor cleaning system

Strobe 12 1.3k United States
21 Apr 2008 1:42PM
Afternoon all,
Last week I bought Dust-Aid to clean my sensor, the store from which I bought it convinced me it is better than a butterfly sensor cleaning system. I followed the instructions and it only made sensor worse. On deciding to send the camera to Nikon to be cleaned I thought "what the hell" and used a ear bud and a blower. This worked and the sensor is clean with the exception of one small dot.

Has anyone else used Dust-Aid, can I do permanent damage using an ear bud ?

Cheers, Marc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
21 Apr 2008 1:45PM
Ear bud? I would never put that in my camera.
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 Apr 2008 2:05PM
we used to clean sensors with ear buds and lighter fluid before it became a must have accessory industry.
Wink
da_nige 15 1.2k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2008 2:09PM
Being a student I've always looked for the cheapest way to clean my sensor. I started off with Intemos sticks and now use Dust-Aid. I think Dust-Aid is an excelent product and so simple to use. I have never had any problems with it and it always leaves my sensor totally clean.

Neil
Chrism8 13 939 26 England
21 Apr 2008 2:09PM
imo, the Artic Butterfly is the one and only to have, my sensor's have never been cleaner, and once you've got over the " first time " it's a doddle.

Chris
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
21 Apr 2008 2:13PM

Quote:Artic Butterfly is the one and only to have

Totally agree - although it does work out expensive. Cleaned my sensor months ago - and haven't needed to use it again so far!! LOL!!

Wink
Chrism8 13 939 26 England
21 Apr 2008 2:57PM
I've got the lupe as well, so the package was around 100, I clean the sensor when I see a few specks on the images or before I know I'll be shooting loads of images, so it's cleaned every 4-6 weeks.

Chris
silverhorse 12 87
21 Apr 2008 4:54PM

Quote:Afternoon all,
Last week I bought Dust-Aid to clean my sensor, the store from which I bought it convinced me it is better than a butterfly sensor cleaning system. I followed the instructions and it only made sensor worse. On deciding to send the camera to Nikon to be cleaned I thought "what the hell" and used a ear bud and a blower. This worked and the sensor is clean with the exception of one small dot.

Has anyone else used Dust-Aid, can I do permanent damage using an ear bud ?

Cheers, Marc

keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 Apr 2008 5:02PM
The sensor is covered by a thin layer of glass- the filter (yes, I know Sigma)....and that glass is pretty tough
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
21 Apr 2008 5:16PM
I bought a couple of cheap brushes off ebay and use a blower to give them a bit of a static charge.

Works a treat and cost me 8.

Arctic Flutterby?
No thanks, I'll save my money.

Smile
uggyy 14 2.1k 9 Scotland
21 Apr 2008 5:23PM

Quote:Arctic Flutterby?
No thanks, I'll save my money.

But you dont get a cool plastic box and leather case...

I actually take mines in the rucksack and have been known to clean the sensor on location at times so it does help... but there is cheaper ways as Dougv says...
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
21 Apr 2008 5:25PM
This is turning into the iPod v Other MP3 debate all over again...

Grin
uggyy 14 2.1k 9 Scotland
21 Apr 2008 5:30PM
LOL the one thing that did impress me was the packaging.... It comes in a Blue Hard Case with foam, then you also get a black leather case with spots for keeping other cleaning items...

Still way over priced for what it is but I must admit Ive had my use out of it and the lupe too. The lupe really does help.. It even came with a cleaning cloth !!! WOooo hooo.
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
21 Apr 2008 6:11PM

Quote:you also get a black leather case with spots

That's handy.
What are the spots for?
Is it in case your sensor is clean already?
Sprinkle a few spots on there and you can use your new cleaning tool right out of the box!
They think of everything these days.

Oh I am in a silly mood tonight...
Grin
uggyy 14 2.1k 9 Scotland
21 Apr 2008 9:13PM
Sure are Smile lol

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.