Dust-Aid sensor cleaning system

rowarrior 12 4.4k 9 Scotland
21 Apr 2008 9:37PM

Quote:Arctic Flutterby?
No thanks, I'll save my money.

I got mine free with a mag subscription

(walks away whistling...)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

flyingseale 12 400 3 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2008 10:35PM

Quote:....and that glass is pretty tough

How tough is the glass? Reason for asking is that I think I might have scratched mine!! The Arctic broom did nothing but move dust around the sensor so I reverted to just using a blower...but I must have touched the sensor and either deposited dirt or scratched it. I have a sensor pen somewhere but can't find it, so now I'm tempted to use a something more physical like a lens cloth or cotton bud. What have I got to lose?

Mike
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2008 10:59PM
What happened to Flying seals post, it is on the recent activity page but not here.
21 Apr 2008 11:00PM
And strawmans post is missing too.

Mike
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
21 Apr 2008 11:15PM
Up to a short while ago my post of 18:11 was the last one showing.
The missing ones look to be back now.
Not sure where they've been.

Perhaps they went to the pub or something? Smile

Anyhow, there are two reports about it and the guys will take a look tomorrow.
ripleysalien 13 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 7:17AM
I had missing posts on the single word whatsit yesterday and saturday, was told I might have a cache problem,

Question, do they have your bank details too..lol

Steve
22 Apr 2008 1:57PM

Quote:How tough is the glass?

Now that the posts are back, I'll ask the question again? How tough is the glass that covers the sensor?

Mike
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Apr 2008 1:59PM
as old boots.

I've seen it treated quite purposfully with some force and come out unscratched....it aint your normal glass.
keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Apr 2008 2:24PM
Edit: It's made of Silica or a mixture of glass and quartz in other words and then is coated with an anti-static layer of Indium Tin Oxide.
22 Apr 2008 4:48PM
Thanks, Keith. I'll find that oily rag and give it good buffing to see if that restores it to original state.

Mike
26 Apr 2008 12:29AM
An update on my sensor. Decided against the oily rag and having tidied all my possessions I still couldn't find my sensorklear, so had to buy a new one*. This has removed all the tracks left on the sensor after using the blower. I can only assume I transfered dirt from the tip of the blower onto the sensor by touching it. Of the three products I own (arctic butterfly, blower and sensorklear), I'd have to say the 15 sensorklear is the best, followed by the blower if you don't touch the sensor. The 45 butterfly does work but in my experience it tends to shift dust around more than it removes it.

Mike

*I'm now waiting for that "ahhh, that's where I put it" moment and fully expect to be the proud owner of two sensorklear pens soon.
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2008 7:04AM
Put the new one "somewhere safe" like you did the first one - that usually does the trick for me, coz that's where I find the first one Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.