Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

DxO Photolab 4

DaveRyder Plus
6 4.8k 7 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2020 6:41PM
I've been playing with a PhotoLab 4 download for a couple of days, after seeing a YouTube video about it's sharpening applications.
The two, Prime and DeepPrime, are RAW only while the HQ is on JPEG etc.

I've taken one (jpeg) from a few weeks ago, processed in Luminar 4 with quite a lot detail (I thought).
The 1st image is the L4 output, also in portfolio, the second after running through DxO using HQ detail enhancement and the unsharp mask tools only. Quite impressive results I think.

The fine details and txt around Brent name plate seem significantly improved.
It'll be interesting to see what the Luminar AI can achieve.

L.4
253884_1605551977.jpg

DxO PL.4
253884_1605552017.jpg

DaveRyder Plus
6 4.8k 7 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2020 9:12PM
Addendum.... it's processor hungry on RAW files.

I tried a quick RAW file with the DeepPrime sharpening and well.....
It doesn't update the whole image as it's a high level of processing. Rather a small preview is provided that can be navigated around the image. The final detail enhancement to the full image is only completed on export/save; now......

I'm using a 3yr old Lenova Yoga 520. 128Gb SSD, 4Gb RAM, Intel i3 2.4Ghz Processor and 2 Cores.

The single image took minutes to export having used max detail enhancement.

This application to be used to it's full advantage with RAW requires a decent computer - I suspect at least 8Gb RAM and a quad core with reasonable clock rate.

17 Nov 2020 10:00AM
DXO have added to the Nik collection a sharpener which does do a very good job and is not power hungry. They have updated the Collection and it is now Nik Collection 3. Although I had the original there have been some updates and as I had already got it I qualified for a reduced price. I have found it worth the money
shagnasty 14 64
17 Nov 2020 4:51PM
As you say a decent computer would race through the work. However now that you know what DeepPrime does and how long it takes you can also add into the mix......how many pictures do I take where this will used? Knowing the relevant info for our equipment then suggests when invoked, set it going, get a cup of tea or coffee or take some more images. When processing in the darkroom results weren't instant.
The NIK collection sharpener mentioned by Angie is indeed a good application, but is "old" by software standards and DeepPrime is today's best kid on the block.
Just buy more beverages as your computer has plenty of life left in it.
Stillbase 9 80 Wales
18 Nov 2020 9:41AM
I use DxO PL4 quite a lot and find for me its a better raw converter than either luminar or LR. The colours are more realistic and I don't really have to apply extra sharpening.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.8k 7 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2020 11:05AM

Quote:I use DxO PL4 quite a lot and find for me its a better raw converter than either luminar or LR. The colours are more realistic and I don't really have to apply extra sharpening.

Thanks for adding to comments...although I don't use raw files a lot good knowledge.

Still playing (20 days or so to go...)

When using Nik Filters with Affinity the save function transfers the edited file back into Affinity (it can be undone by a step back in history).
In DxO PL4 on saving the Nik edit it's saved as a new .tiff file in the source directory. This I like.
IanYorke 7 28 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2020 6:07PM

Quote:I've been playing with a PhotoLab 4 download for a couple of days, after seeing a YouTube video about it's sharpening applications.
The two, Prime and DeepPrime, are RAW only while the HQ is on JPEG etc.

I've taken one (jpeg) from a few weeks ago, processed in Luminar 4 with quite a lot detail (I thought).
The 1st image is the L4 output, also in portfolio, the second after running through DxO using HQ detail enhancement and the unsharp mask tools only. Quite impressive results I think.

The fine details and txt around Brent name plate seem significantly improved.
It'll be interesting to see what the Luminar AI can achieve.

DXO-Photolab Elite is a raw converter like Capture One Pro. There is not much point in considering DXO if you don't shoot raw.

DXO is different to every other raw converter in that it does noise reduction (PRIME/DeepPrime) on the raw data rather than the demosaiced Tif file. This is why you can't see the effect on the whole image just in the preview window. DeepPrime is the latest technology that replaces PRIME it provides class leading noise reduction beating Topaz Denoise AI.

You get at least 2 stops of improved noise reduction compared to jpg particularly useful with small sensor cameras, MFT etc.

DeepPrime noise reduction will utilise the GPU if you have a decent GPU. This makes export times much faster, without a GPU/ fast CPU expect long process times.

DXO-Photolab does have excellent local editing capabilities using NIK U-Point technology. Local edits are layer based like Capture One and layers/ Layer masks can be named, opacity of the adjustment varied, inverted and copied. Not as good as Capture One but each iteration gets more powerful.

As an example this is a 6400ISO file from Olympus EM1 plus the embedded jpg so that you can see how much the shadows have been lifted. Obviously sensor is at the limit but just an extreme example.Smile236092_1605722758.jpg
236092_1605722771.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.