Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Eagle Eye???

siderath 16 322 England
3 Jan 2004 7:28PM
im looking for a telephoto for my 602, i am contemplating the eagle eye which is a 5x magnification lense, i understand that this has a 37mm thread (the 602 has a 55mm thread)
as a point of interest, how much vignetting will result from this, if any at full zoom.
also i would need a step-down ring, where would i be able to find one of these (55-37mm)
if it turns out not to be a practical purchase i would not be happy with the standard 1.5x fuji converter, so any alternatives or suggestions are appreciated

simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

IanA 16 3.0k 12 England
3 Jan 2004 7:40PM
If you check with the ephotozine shop, you will find that they are agents for eagle-eye. They reccommend you phone them to get the correct adaptors. Hope this helps.
Regards
Ian
siderath 16 322 England
3 Jan 2004 8:04PM
thanks ian, another thing ive just noticed is the price of the eagle eye, if you buy it from this site(warehouse express), you can pay two prices
the section in the shop on digiscoping sells it for 164, whereas the section on lenses sells it for 193??? very mysterious.
IanA 16 3.0k 12 England
3 Jan 2004 8:35PM
Well spotted Simon! I would phone them and see if the lens price includes an adaptor to fit the camera. That might be an explanation for the descrepancy! If not, get it as a digiscope attachment! Smile)
Regards
Ian

(P.S. you might also like to look at one advertised in the classifieds!)
guzman 16 14 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2004 9:03PM
I think you will have considerable vignetting with the eagle eye, 37 to 55 is way to much plus you are pushing the limits to get a x5 converter to produce acceptable images on this camera , may I suggest you go for either of the Raynox lenses here Raynox

I am using both the 1540pro teleconveter and wide angle 720 and can give my whole hearted endorsment of both see this image taken with the 1540pro at max magnifcation
they do another model the DCR-1850PRO at 1.85X mag,

Bought both mine from a USA retailer on e-bay and could recommend this guy if you wish, the price was cheaper than the only UK retailers (Jessops have soul selling rights) worked out 20% cheaper than UK including post and the dreaded customs duty.

just an idea to mull over
ps you will need the 52 / 55 coverter also
regards
roland
siderath 16 322 England
3 Jan 2004 9:20PM
yes, i must say after looking at that site im tempted by the DCR-1850PRO.

thanks roland
please do recommend him
info to siderath@hotmail.com

thanks again

simon
guzman 16 14 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2004 10:02PM
You have mail simon

regards roland
3 Jan 2004 11:11PM
For another alternative try www.ckcpower.com for the crystal view 8 x lens. Have never used the lens but found it when searching for additional lenses for a Canon G2.
siderath 16 322 England
3 Jan 2004 11:26PM
thankyou roland, a very comprehensive email, just got to wait till my next paycheque now.
thanks 360, ill investigate this site aswell.

simon
DianeH 16 29 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2004 3:07PM
Vignetting with the EagleEye is not too bad and can always be cropped out, depending on what you're taking photos of.

I used mine on a G3 and needed a 52-37mm thread converter, which I bought from www.photosolve.com/main/product/rings/ring_conv.html

The CrystalVue is not a good performer compared with the EagleEye, apparently.

My EagleEye is for sale, BTW. See classifieds.
siderath 16 322 England
6 Jan 2004 8:42PM
diane,
how much of the image is lost to vignetting with the eagle, if its just the corners then i might be interested, can you provide an example (siderath@hotmail.com

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.