Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Ebay ...a black art

thud 17 44
18 Dec 2004 3:42PM
Those who have followed a thread on the Lenses Forum might know that due to the purchase of a new lens (sigma 28-300mm HSZ MACRO ashperical) I have decided to sell my canon 75-300mm III USM lens as this will be redundant and no better than the new sigma lens from what i can gather (?).

Well i expected I might get 90 for this second hand. But tonight its been bid up to over 120 and i am delighted, but why? You can buy a new one from China for just under that price? There are 2 other identical lenses (also used) on ebay and they are both lower priced.

Funny old world.

Steve
rincewind 18 279
18 Dec 2004 5:39PM
Often the people bidding, have no idea of the value of goods, some you win and some you lose.

Looks like you won Smile
loweswood 16 317 England
20 Dec 2004 2:37PM
You're right. People just don't do enough research. I was looking at tripods the other day and I always check the shop price of models. One auction was getting close to the shop price and a velbon tripod was selling at 99 which is the recommended shop price. However, a few minutes of searching would show that this can be got from Cameramarts for 67 with free P and P.

I've got great prices off eBay now and then but hey, don't knock it...LOL

If the description and photo are good you'll get the best price. Some of the tripods lengths or heights weren't even in the description.
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
20 Dec 2004 2:44PM
I buy a few things on ebay but sell everything I can on there - it really is a great place to sell stuff. You can maximise your sales if you know how to play the game properly.

I've a load of darkroom gear to put on in a while as I've decided to dump most of the cheaper stuff I have. Ebay is the way to go as I'll get a fortune for it!

One thing that cracks me up is the refurbished canon outlet (who I know posts on here) people probably forget the VAT and delivery and so end up paying more for a refurbished item with a 6 month warranty than you can buy a new item for.

People do get carried away with the whole bidding thing specially as its in your own home etc etc.

There are still bargains to be found though, got myself a nearly new fax machine last week for less than it would cost to refill the ink cartridge (I have a couple of spares from an old lexmark printer).
ejtumman 17 2.8k England
20 Dec 2004 10:26PM
I sold a 75-300 MkI on there a year ago with a massive scratch on the lens. It was clearly stated there was a scratch, I even photographed it!!!

The Lens went to Spain for 83.00 plus postage!!!

I was amazed. People seem to pay more on ebay because they think if its on there it must be a bargain. You'd be amazed what I've bought from local shops and sold for 2 sometimes 3 times what I paid for them!!!

Emma ;o))
keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2004 1:40AM
Of course if you don't have a local shop, Ebay is a great solution.
Ebay prices can go very silly, but I've usually found them cheaper than shops, and better than some things at car boot sales.
I may have overbid on something once - it was outside my usual areas of knowledge, I wanted it for a christmas present, and I just went for it - and so did someone else.

One evening though I gained through this - an Eos 300 attracted bids, and went for about 70. There was another less than an hour later, which I got for 46.50, never could see why they all bid on the first, but not the second.
pinkpixel 16 53
22 Dec 2004 8:52AM
I sell and buy loads on ebay.
Works for me .
robob 18 1.0k England
22 Dec 2004 9:14AM
Anyone selling at the moment should end their auction on Boxing day at around 6 pm. I regularly go on the ebay chat forums and apparently for a week or two after Christmas it goes ballistic for sales. Lot's of people with lot's of money and lot's of time of work to kill.
Trust me.
Rob
pinkpixel 16 53
22 Dec 2004 9:17AM

Quote:Anyone selling at the moment should end their auction on Boxing day at around 6 pm. I regularly go on the ebay chat forums and apparently for a week or two after Christmas it goes ballistic for sales. Lot's of people with lot's of money and lot's of time of work to kill.
Trust me.
Rob

Well, you caught me in time then ... My items are coming to an end now and i have just photographed about 30 or so to list. Maybe I will leave it then.

What time have they said ? i dont use ebay forums much , RT a handful of times but other than that cant get into it.

E
robob 18 1.0k England
22 Dec 2004 9:19AM
6 pm is good as there's footbal on in the afternoon. They actually say all over the Christmas period goes mental.
Rob
Chris_H 17 1.5k 1
22 Dec 2004 9:26AM
Some items on Ebay the prices are going mad at the moment especially as its so close to christmas the price of everyone seems to have gone up to what it was a few weeks ago, I am sure there will be lots of cheap stuff on there a few weeks after christmas there was loads last year, people get new cameras/equipment or get their credit card bills after christmas.

Chris
pinkpixel 16 53
22 Dec 2004 9:33AM
As I sell mostly designer perfume and cosmetics. So you can imagin, i have made a nice little sum this past few weeks. As my items are all new and i gift wrap for free lol

BUT .... On the flip side i prob buy as much as i sell ( roll eyes ) .

errrrr BTW : Username
Quote:cokinman

Does that mean exactly what it says on the tin ?
LOL

E
Chris_H 17 1.5k 1
22 Dec 2004 11:42AM
No it does not mean what it says on the tin lol, although I set it as my Ebay ID and AOL userbname as I went through a stage where I kept buying loads of Cokin filters about three years ago.

Chris
pinkpixel 16 53
22 Dec 2004 4:24PM
LOL .... Was only kiddin' and anyway I wouldnt of cared a jot if it was :o)
jonty500 17 126
23 Dec 2004 3:51PM
i wouldn't trust ebay over anything over 50 personally.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.