eBay bids

Strobe 12 1.3k United States
2 May 2008 3:29PM
Hi, after continually loosing bids on e-bay I joined Auctionsniper, and think it is fantastic, I have actually won some bids. Some of my work colleges however think it is unethical. Does anyone else use something similar and do you thing is bad to use ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad 15 10.9k 116
2 May 2008 3:33PM

Quote:Some of my work colleges however think it is unethical

Why?

Quote:Does anyone else use something similar

Not me, no.

Quote: and do you thing is bad to use ?

No.

I don't use it myself because I don't want to give my user information to other parties.

Besides, I have more fun doing the sniping myself - waiting until the last moment and entering an amount, hoping I'll have just enough seconds left to get it processed (and win, hopefully).
Strobe 12 1.3k United States
2 May 2008 3:36PM

Quote:lWhy?

I guess because they have been snipped too many times
conrad 15 10.9k 116
2 May 2008 3:48PM
Just tell them the winning bidders must have paid too much in order to win - that'll make them feel better!

Seriously, though - snipers or no snipers, you can only loose an auction if at least one other person thinks the item is worth more than you do. And in that case it really doesn't matter which system you're using - sniping or non-sniping.
cambirder 16 7.2k England
2 May 2008 4:14PM
I don't like snipping software, a prefer do do my snipping manually, much more fun.
sidaorb 13 3.9k 2 England
2 May 2008 4:18PM
I'm with Steve and Conrad, much prefer the satisfaction of a manual snipe and trying to get as close to that closing second as possible Wink
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
2 May 2008 6:20PM
Why snipe? It's like any form of bartering; bid what your prepared to pay in the very closing seconds and you'll win.

If the price has already gone past what your are prepared to in those closing seconds then you've not lost. Never been outbid using this method.
Carabosse 16 41.4k 270 England
2 May 2008 6:22PM
Yes, but timing of the bid is as important as the amount you are prepared to pay.

I am an infrequent eBay user, but I use sniping software to buy stuff - every time. Apart from anything else... I enjoy it! Grin

But I use simple software which is on my PC. I have never registered with Auctionsnipe or any of the others.
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
2 May 2008 6:24PM
Hasn't eBAy got it's own built-in 'Bid Assistant' (Wink) now?
annstox 13 48
3 May 2008 12:29AM
Well, I snipe. I enter what I think is reasonable for me & am not tied to the computer. Each to their own, I think.
ann
c_evans99 16 7.0k 1 Wales
3 May 2008 12:31AM
Sniping is irritating but shils are really annoying, and more common now than they've ever been. I've reported half a dozen or so in the last few months.
3 May 2008 12:34AM
Sniping is not against the T&Cs but shill-bidding is.
Henchard 15 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
3 May 2008 8:41AM

Quote:Well, I snipe. I enter what I think is reasonable for me & am not tied to the computer. Each to their own, I think.
ann

Isn't that the case anyway? Just enter what you are prepared to pay at any time, you will still only pay the minimum necessary to win up to your maximum bid.
3 May 2008 1:07PM

Quote:Just enter what you are prepared to pay at any time, you will still only pay the minimum necessary to win up to your maximum bid

I rarely know very precisely what I am prepared to pay for an item - and I'll bet that's the case with most people.

I may be prepared to pay (say) 50. But if someone outbids me with 51, I might feel rather annoyed because I would, most probably, have been prepared to go to 52...... or even a bit more.

Hence the joy of sniping! Wink
c_evans99 16 7.0k 1 Wales
3 May 2008 2:03PM
There are some auction sites where a last minute bid will automatically add ten minutes to the auction length.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.