Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Editing and Managing Versions

Hello Ephotozine Members,

I have a particular image which has four versions. I plan to add possibly up to a total of ten images/versions :-

https://www.ephotozine.com/user/freedriv082000-256859/gallery/photo/blonde-haired-blue-eyed-beauty-40313328

I would like to (every so often) change the actual front or first image in this version.

I have tried to do this via "Manage Versions" but I am only able to change the order of the second, third and fourth images.

Does anyone know a way around this please ?

Many thanks

freedriv082000 (Adam)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
11 8.3k 30 England
1 Aug 2014 2:35PM
You'll have to upload a version as a top image. There's no way to change the top image via Manage Versions.
OK If the top image cannot be edited or changed via Manage Versions, is there any other way of doing this please ?
Willpower 8 494 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2014 3:06PM
Looking at your portfolio, it seems to me that you have a misunderstanding about what could be termed a "variation".
In my opinion none of your variations could realistically be called that. They are all entirely different pictures.
A variation is exactly the same image processed in a different manner, B&W or Sepia or cross processing or with different lighting.

What you have done is condensed your portfolio by calling each of these radically different images a variation.
So I would suggest that you treat each new image as an individual in it's own right. That way you will have no need to try and rearrange your "variations"
saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
1 Aug 2014 3:28PM
The first image, once uploaded to the galleries, cannot be changed, only the subsequent variations.

Malc
dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 591 England
1 Aug 2014 6:22PM

Quote:you have a misunderstanding about what could be termed a "variation".
They are all entirely different pictures

And that's a perfectly valid use of 'Variations'. Yes it's ideal for e.g. colour mono and sepia tones of the same image, but also to for example completely different images but of the same subject or event, like an action sequence, that's where the 'Reportage' variations tag comes in.

Perhaps 'Versions' is not the most helpful term in some cases Smile
Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
1 Aug 2014 6:47PM
Was that ever the intended use? Instead of using folder/albums instead?
1 Aug 2014 7:43PM
from the 'versions' page

Quote:As this is your first version upload for this photo, you need to select a version category so your photos are displayed in the correct area. Please read the description below for information on each Version category.

Before & After - This type is intended for photos with a before and after version and any developments in between. A before photo is one that's straight out of the camera with no external processing. If you want to show HDR please upload at least one original exposure so we can see what the conditions were like.

Tutorials - This section can be used for a series of photos that describe or teach a technique or process of taking or modifying a photo.

Reportgage/Documentary - Use this for a series of shots that are related (ie: Photo Journalism or images that are used in a montage)
Variants - Trying out new lighting, editing techniques? Select this type. Use this as a sounding board (ie - three different compositions/crops and ask which is preferred.)

Like many newish members of a website, I have to say that I don't spend time reading boring things like rules.

I just see Ephotozine as a way of showing off my images and viewing the images of other photographers. In this, Ephotozone is a good website. But it has a few flaws.

I see the "only one pictured per day can be posted" rule as restrictive. (I am not the only one who thinks this).

So I see the "Versions/Variations" facility as a way of getting around the above mentioned "Only one picture per day" rule.

As for possible solutions to the above, well Ephotozine could offer different levels of membership. A higher level (costing a little more) could allow unlimited image posts.

Or alternatively , instead of 1 picture per day, how about say 30 per month. We could then post say 15 in one go. But then not post anything for days, weeks or months.

See what everyone thinks ?
saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
2 Aug 2014 8:48AM

Quote:I just see Ephotozine as a way of showing off my images

Quote:So I see the "Versions/Variations" facility as a way of getting around the above mentioned "Only one picture per day" rule.

The problem is that many people never look at all the variations behind the lead image, so the images you want to show never reach the whole audience.

Your idea of changing the number/frequency of uploads can be brought to the attention of admin who have started another thread running at the moment discussing possible changes to the site and the galleries in particular.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.