Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Editing software curious behaviour

col.campbell 14 1.1k 4 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 9:47PM
Hi folks,

I have just been going through my holiday snaps, and encountered some curious behaviour in PS CS6 with one of them. It's a palm tree in near-silhouette with the sky at sunset behind (cliche, yes I know!)

To tweak the exposure balance between foreground and sky, in raw conversion I left it slightly overexposed to retain just a little detail in the tree, with the intention of darkening the sky to suit afterwards. But my editing software has other ideas: a strip along the right-hand edge refuses to be selected, whether that be by using the colour selection tool, quick select, or marquee. I can select smaller portions and build up the selection, but the instant the last pixel is selected the entire rectangle reappears, un-selected. Very odd; I've never before experienced or heard of such behaviour.

If anyone would like to try it for themselves, I've uploaded it to OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aptg0bq2SokFhVfJqLY_5PgzjYvo

Just to satisfy my curiosity!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon 11 1.3k United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 10:32PM
I had a quick play; I am using LR and PS cc. I could find no problem with selecting using various tools. In order to be sure I also used PS CS6 and this also worked fine, I used the colour selection tool (I would not normally use this) but I was impressed with how well it worked.

Of course, I do not Know exactly what you want to achieve but I would not use a selection at all myself for this type of adjustment. You can reduce the highlights and increase the shadows slightly in the Raw editor to darken the sky but keep detail in the tree. I also increased the saturation of orange and reduce the luminance of blue as well. It is far better to make such adjustments in the Raw editor. You can also make selections with the brush in the Raw editor if you need to. Even if you have rendered the Raw file and opened in PS, you can use Image>Adjustments>Shadows & Highlights for similar effect.

Dave
capto Plus
5 4.8k 8 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 10:39PM
The image works just fine here. As it seems to be just this image with the problem maybe clearing the settings from the raw file and starting again would clear the problem. [right click raw file > develop settings > clear settings].
It looks a good shot, well worth persevering .

col.campbell 14 1.1k 4 United Kingdom
11 Sep 2017 10:50PM
Thank you both. It seems normal service has been resumed. Restarting has cleared the problem, but what an odd one it was! And thanks for the tip, Dave.
Tianshi_angie 2 1.7k England
12 Sep 2017 10:19AM
If PS (I think this applies to all incarnations as I have CC and it happens there sometimes) behaves oddly, clearing the 'remembered' settings that the software uses can usually resolve any Glitches. There are two ways to do this - when the software is open go to the top bar extreme right just under the PS icon there is a small bo with an icon in (it will be the icon for the tool you have already selected). At the bottom right corner of this small box there is a tiny arrow, right click on this and a menu will pop up 'Reset Tool' - referring to the tool which is selected it will reset to the default position, 'Reset All Tools' , resetting all tools to the default position.
In CS6 you can also do this by pressing Alt, Ctrl, Shift together as soon as you click to open Photoshop. This one you have to be very quick and a dialogue will pop up asking if you want to reset all your tools to the default setting. This way also resets the icons on the tool bar to their default visual setting.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.