WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Education system

debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2005 6:35AM
Re the school reports, K. If you speak to the head teacher you can let him know in writing who is able to discuss care/education etc. and who isn't. If they are sending ex-girlfriends copies of reports, surely that's a breach of confidentiality?

Re the absence. He's only 7. If he's not in school and you haven't phoned to say he is ill or not going because of an appointment or other valid reason then they should be ringing you to see if he's ok and why he's not there...never mind sending letters of unauthorised absence after the event!!! I'd be questioning their policies on this. I remember a girl who was only reported missing at the end of the school day because she'd set off in the morning but sadly never arrived.

BTW, I took my son to school one day (he's 13). I had a phone call about an hour afterwards, letting me know he hadn't gone to school. I told them I'd taken him myself and asked them to check. I was just about ready to call the police to report him missing when they rang back. He's here and has been in his lessons. The teacher had put the wrong mark in the register!

Debbie.
20 Jul 2005 6:44AM
The reason they gave for sending the reports was that this was his address too before he left and they needed a solitors letter if there were not to use this address anymore but I appealed to him and he said he would accept a letter from my ex instead. Re the absence I agree with you Debbie about them ringing me, but he was there so he wasnt actually missing I suspect it was the same as your situation, they'd ticked the wrong box!
nickp 15 491 Scotland
20 Jul 2005 7:02AM

Quote:If he's not in school and you haven't phoned to say he is ill or not going because of an appointment or other valid reason then they should be ringing you to see if he's ok and why he's not there...never mind sending letters of unauthorised absence after the event!!! I'd be questioning their policies on this. I remember a girl who was only reported missing at the end of the school day because she'd set off in the morning but sadly never arrived

Hear hear! I'd actually be very insistent that this approach change immediately - its quite unacceptable these days. The school is after all legally liable for the safety of the child once arrived, and if the school doesn't know he's there.... A local school here was sued for not preventing a child from running out of the school.

My wife, a primary headTEACHER, employs a person to follow up on unauthorised absences and then to perform home visits as required. She came home yesterday telling me about a distressing home alone case she'd uncovered.

In addition, the school is measured on the rate of these absences by OFSTED so they should have a further degree of self interest in the accuracy of their information.
redsnappa 18 2.0k United Kingdom
20 Jul 2005 7:20AM
is the headteacher of the school won't reply speak with the governors.
sfdweb 9 1
21 Mar 2011 8:51AM
I would agree that the most suitable course of action would be to make an appointment to discuss the issue. As a matter of interest how do you know he wasn't absent; presumeably you weren't at the school on those days? Either way if he is in the wrong or the school is in the wrong I would have thought a meeting the best way to sort it out.
link removed, advertising not allowed in the forums

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.