Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Eizo 277

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2018 9:26AM

Quote:Ok. Does this mean I should keep my room dark but rely on the printing calibration settings in the in built calibration tool? I was wondering if I should use different settings depending on the paper I am using and whether I am printing in black and white or colour.

Iím most grateful to all of you for taking time to talk me through this. Richard

What is more important with ambient illumination is consistency, as long as it is not too bright then for 'home' editing you should be fine. (there are no printing calibration settings involved with the in built calibration colorimeter btw)

Technically you could use a different cd/M^2 figure for each paper as they will all be slightly different but in practice it isn't that practical (yes if you are printing to the highest standards for discerning clients maybe) what is important and something that cannot be stressed too much is to arrive at your monitor brightness level by comparing it to a reference print under appropriate lighting conditions.

Sightly darker or brighter conditions your eye will adapt. I don't have space for a full viewing booth so use a grafilite as my viewing source.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

daniel66 3 61 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2018 10:28AM
Some high-end monitors with hardware LUTs allow you to switch between calibration profiles, but I'm not sure that feature exists in Eizo displays (it does in some NEC models). With most monitors, if you change calibration settings you have to begin the whole calibration/profiling process again.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.