Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Election predictions: The sequel

Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
12 Jun 2017 3:50PM
Practically every country in the world trades with the EU. Worth bearing in mind! Wink
ChrisV 14 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2017 4:06PM
They trade with the EU with tariffs.

As for knowing the full ramifications for leaving/staying, I think if anyone [not excluding myself] tells you they do, they are bullshitting. It's astonishingly complex and I'm sure there will be repercussions even a genuine Nostradamus could not predict.

I think you're right CB, that most people didn't concern themselves with the details, but were concerned about uncontrolled movement.

But it's also worth bearing in mind, that over the last seven years when the Tories had an 'ambition' to limit immigration to the tens of thousands, more than 50% of the ingress came from outside the EU. If they can't control immigration that they can control... Tongue

There were and are a series of outrageous lies about leaving the EU - that one is not the least of them.
12 Jun 2017 4:23PM
There were plenty of lies about staying in the EU. Project Fear ultimately failed though.

The EU is probably within sight of its Use By date. Once the UK leaves, it is likely to be infectious.
Ross_D 7 841 1 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2017 4:24PM
Re the hung parliament/Mrs May/PM................. this is irrelevant as (according to Jeremy Corbyn) Labour won the election and he is going to be PM Wink

Re Brexit .............. the Remain camp might have been more successful had they explained the BENEFITS of being a member of the EU instead of inventing scare stories to try and stop people voting OUT. That said, approx 52% of the (referendum) voters obviously saw/felt no benefit of being a member of the EU.
12 Jun 2017 4:25PM
And the 52% is more like 70% currently - certainly in terms of those who want the govt to just get on and make Brexit happen.
thewilliam2 4 1.6k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2017 4:38PM

Quote:Re the hung parliament/Mrs May/PM................. this is irrelevant as (according to Jeremy Corbyn) Labour won the election and he is going to be PM Wink

Has Ms Abbott been doing the sums again?

Or would Corbyn invite Sinn Féin to join him in a coalition?
12 Jun 2017 5:03PM

Quote:
Has Ms Abbott been doing the sums again?

Does rather sound like it!

Quote: Or would Corbyn invite Sinn Féin to join him in a coalition?

Robert Peston laughingly suggested something similar to John McDonnell, yesterday! Grin

12 Jun 2017 7:24PM
The conservatives in Scotland did well because the SNP did badly. There is just too much going on in politics just now and another independence referendum was just not wanted by a lot of the Scottish voters at the moment.

Was the election a vanity project for Mrs May? Looks like it now. For what its worth, May is probably the best of a bad bunch and that's not saying much. Who is going to lead the government otherwise? Boris?

Brexit was always going to be divisive. Latest figures on the news tonight are that the number of nurses from EU countries applying to work on the NHS is down by 96%. That's going to have a tremendous effect on staffing on an already overstretched NHS. My wife has just come out of hospital and the moral amongst nurses and doctors seems to be very low at the moment.

Overall, a mess and one which may take years to clear up.

12 Jun 2017 7:54PM

Quote: number of nurses from EU countries applying to work on the NHS is down by 96%.

So long as the number of Romanian "metal collectors" and similar is down 100%, I can live with that. Wink

Why on earth we can't train up enough British nurses when we still have 1.6 million unemployed is a question which needs to be asked.

12 Jun 2017 7:58PM
Carbosse Plus. Our carbon footprint will be lower without the Romanians.
thewilliam2 4 1.6k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2017 8:04PM

Quote:
Quote: number of nurses from EU countries applying to work on the NHS is down by 96%.

Why on earth we can't train up enough British nurses when we still have 1.6 million unemployed is a question which needs to be asked.

In the good 'ol days, nurses were paid during their training. Now they have to do a degree, with its associated course fees and living costs. Just to make it worse, the government has stopped giving bursaries to trainee nurses.

Would you saddle yourself with all that debt to prepare yourself for entry to a badly paid profession?
12 Jun 2017 8:37PM
Fair point. It's something that needs to be addressed. It's not good enough to recruit from countries whose inhabitants regard the UK minimum wage as riches beyond their wildest dreams.

It is also unfair to the countries concerned to strip them of skilled workers.
ChrisV 14 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2017 12:01PM
So apart from CB who thinks the Tories will do a five year term? [I wonder if he's in the cabinet - they're the only people I've heard expressing that PoV - and deluded as the May coterie have proved to be, I doubt they believe it].

It must be agony at the moment. Whatever is in the Queen's speech it's certainly going to exclude a lot of what was in Treezer's manifesto. I know they didn't bother with fussy things like cost and detail in that, but nevertheless they haven't got much time to more or less completely rewrite it.

My prediction is that neither Tree nor her party will last until this time next year.
13 Jun 2017 12:46PM

Quote: That said, approx 52% of the (referendum) voters obviously saw/felt no benefit of being a member of the EU.

I am always fascinated by this 'majority' of folk in the UK wishing to leave. There are 47,000,000 eligible to vote 11,000,000 didn't vote in the referendum, which means that approximately 29,280,000 either voted to remain or were quite happy with the situation as it was so didn't vote. The minority vote of 18,720,000 folk wanted to leave. No majority in my book.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2017 1:23PM
if you don't vote - you don't count

to claim that those who didn't vote must have been against leaving remains an disingenuous trick to make a point, the electoral system is "First past the post" in this country, however much that may lead to results that all of us dislike at times

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.