Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Election predictions: The sequel

Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
15 Jun 2017 2:29PM

Quote: how does a committed pacifist support terrorist murderers?

Anything is possible for politicians! Wink
ChrisV 14 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2017 2:37PM

Quote:
Quote:
Her Majesty's government pledges to continue to warn against the dangers of Mr Corbyn - a committed pacifist and supporter of terrorist murders.

I'm far from a Corbyn supporter but how does a committed pacifist support terrorist murderers?

Don't ask me - it's what the Tory Party and the media have been saying for the last couple of years, so it must be true.
15 Jun 2017 2:45PM
One person's terrorist is another's freedom-fighter...............
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2017 3:00PM
I've decided there are only two things that scare me these day, politics and religion, both are riven with cant and belief (with little reference to fact or rational argument) and the atmosphere both are capable of generating between apparently rational and decent people is what scares me for the future

I've had enough of the entire sick joke and am going to leave it to the younger generations in the hope that they may bring about a better way of dealing with these issues
15 Jun 2017 3:07PM
The younger generation may prove to be the problem rather than the solution.

A friend of mine describes them as "brain-dead zombies unaware of anything existing outside the screens of their smartphones".

clown-light.jpg
15 Jun 2017 4:03PM
We were all young once and it doesn't strike me that stupidity [the risk taking of young men aside, which is after all what we're programmed for] is any more the portion of the youthful as those toward their dotage.

A degree of self-satisfaction, complacency and resignation is possibly the due of advancing years.

The foolishness of the aged perhaps wears as poorly as old clothing; and is as sad to behold.
15 Jun 2017 4:38PM
It's the risk-averseness of the young that many find troubling.

The students of today seem very different from those of the 60s and 70s.

They are more interested in the latest app for their smartphone than in political ideology. Maybe that'll turn out to be a good thing! ;j
15 Jun 2017 5:01PM
You say that, but didn't you just express concern about their voting? It's either a good thing they're politically engaged or it's not - it can't be both!

I don't know about the young being risk averse. The old want them to be when it comes to getting insurance and wants them not to be when it comes to fighting wars.

Youth is not always an advantage. Sad
15 Jun 2017 5:09PM
Well the young have certainly shown they are not immune to pork-barrel politics!

JC: Hey, kids I'm offering free "uni" education and I'll cancel any student debts you've run up!

Kids: You're our hero Jezza - and you've got our votes!

biggrin-light.jpg

15 Jun 2017 5:37PM
Didn't you get [or at least have the chance] of a free university education?

What is it about our generations that should make us so uniquely privileged?

Besides aren't this lot always banging on about us having a highly educated workforce to be internationally competitive in the jobs market?
15 Jun 2017 7:09PM
Oh I'm not complaining about it. I'm just observing that JC is a shrewder political operator than we give him credit for, and his young hangers-on are just as susceptible to bribes as the rest of us.

Not much youthful idealism involved! Wink
15 Jun 2017 7:21PM
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
15 Jun 2017 7:59PM
The young will mature, same as some of us did.Wink We cannot discriminate for any reason, least of all age. They have their priorities, we have ours, our vote is a right, and it is up to each individual where they cast it. If we lose, we wait for the next election, if we win, we blow raspberries at the losers.Grin No, seriously, we have to live in the same society, and to destroy it because of spite is stupid, co-operation helps and improves all our lives.
thewilliam2 4 1.6k United Kingdom
15 Jun 2017 10:09PM
Corbyn does seem to be getting more things right at the moment.

Both Corbyn and May went to visit Grenfell Tower. She kept well clear of the residents, safe behind her armed guards whereas it was Corbyn who mixed with the crowd showing his sympathy and solidarity.

During WW2, after the worst night of the London blitz, the King and Queen made a point of touring the East End to show the residents that they cared. A couple of years ago during the worst of the floods on the Levels, their grandson, Prince Charles, came to Somerset for like purpose. He made contact with the people whereas the Environment Minister had kept well clear of the peasantry.
15 Jun 2017 10:59PM
Well Sadiq Khan got a rough ride when he turned up at Grenfell Tower. Presumably TM's minders didn't want to risk an incident.

But, I agree, it doesn't look good.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.