PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Elements? Elemental mistake!

andybrightuk 19 85
8 Aug 2001 1:28AM
I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has changed from L.E. to Elements...I have and can't believe that quick-mask has vanished. Without the ability to add/remove from a selection via brush or pen tool, it seems almost worthless. All that's left is the clumsy lasso tools and magic wand.
Andy.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bbdigital 19 21
8 Aug 2001 1:28AM
Buy Photoshop 6 seems the obvious answer.
bbdigital 19 21
22 Aug 2001 5:00PM
Having now used Photoshop Elements I think it is a great alternative to LE and there is always another way to do things.

I have created hundreds of digital images and never used the quickmask yet. My loss perhaps, but we all find our favourite way of working and generally stick to what works.

www.bbdigital.co.uk
lubylou 18 14
6 Oct 2001 4:36PM
There is a very interesting and informative tutorial in Novembers edition of What Digital Camera covering this very subject, hope you find it of use.
Little Jo Plus
18 2.3k United Kingdom
15 Oct 2001 8:53PM
Having just bought the new CanoScan, I've got both Elements and LE on my computer at the mo. Elements is a lot more user friendly, LE has other features that are worth having. I am currently comparing the two.

Let's face facts - we aren't going to get Photoshop 6 rebadged and sold for a fraction of the cost, are we? There's got to be compromise.
davro 19 2
2 Nov 2001 11:58AM
Photoshop Elements if a great programme and a really advance on LE. As with anything in Photoshop there's always more than one way to crack an egg. Try using the polygonal lasso tool and the eraser - I use them all the time for my images. www.davrodigital.co.uk
I think you may find your answer to masks in what digital camera, the subject was raised in November 2001 tutorial number 30 try www.what-digital-camera.com Roger
simonj 18 3
27 Feb 2002 3:48PM
There is a perfectly workable cheat involving the use of adjustment layers, which we have covered this in What Digital camera, and the tutorial is re-printed in the current issue (inside the Photoshop step by step supplement).
I totally disagree that you can live without quick mask mode - it can be invaluable for avoiding clumsy cookie-cutter edges in montage.
Simon Joinson
20 Mar 2002 11:54AM
Never used LE but got to Elements via a freeby disk on a magazine. I used it over the weekend then bought the full version on monday. Why? It's very good. Easy to use. Cheap. But certainly not nasty. I will own up to having used a bootleg copy of Photoshop for a few days but found it very hard going, with far too many options and tools for all but the most serious pro, or wannabe amateur. Elements has everything the amateur could possibly want, and then some.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby
jrt 18 27
20 Mar 2002 7:34PM
Andy I would urge you to try Picture Window Pro from Digital Light and Color at www.dl-c.com
I tried photoshop and found it to be an ergonomic nightmare. Realising it would take many months to master or indeed just to establish a suitable workflow I looked around for another suitable, powerful programme.

Picture Window is such an alternative and is so intuitive that within Days I had a credible workflow going. I have been using the software for nine months or so now and can thoroughly recommend it.

The online forum support from the creator is incredible with answers to even the most mundane query answered with enthusiasm and speed.

For my workflow, scanner - editor - printer, I would give this software 9/10 photoshop 7/10.

JRT.
andybrightuk 19 85
5 Apr 2002 10:56PM
I forgot about this thread, sorry.
Yes, I quickly found a few work arounds...not quite the same as a real quick mask.
I've had PS6.0 for some time, and I'm delighted with it. Not sure that 7.0 is going to be a big draw, but I'll get it and see......just hope my old 'actions' will work with it.
Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.