Elements 2 and keywords

mpdragon 19 22
7 Nov 2002 3:11PM
Hi - does anyone know if I can enter keywords somewhere in Elements so I can do a search on, for example, skies or trees etc? If I right click on an image in Windows Explorer, one of the tabs on the dialogue box is labelled keywords, but I can't type in it. In Elements, from the File/File info option, the dialolgue box doesn't have the facility for keywords.

Any help would be appreciated.
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
7 Nov 2002 3:57PM
In the full version of Photoshop, when you select File Info, you get a drop down (combobox) from which you can select a number of categories. Keywords is the second one on the list after General.
Sorry if this is no help, but I can't test it on Elements as I don't have it.
Toymaker 19 587 1
16 Nov 2002 7:19PM
I use Elements but have never needed to search for things - other than help.

Why would you want to search for things like trees, or sky????
17 Nov 2002 11:20AM
Barry, the idea is that you can enter metadata about an image into the image itself. So you can store things such as Photographer, Copyright, Caption, Keywords etc. Photoshop uses IPTC and a number of digital cameras use EXIF, where all the exposure settings, camera type etc are stored in the image.
If you store keywords in your image, you can then (in theory) search for images with particular keywords. Don't know if Photoshop has a search facility.
I wrote my own image management software which also stores the IPTC and EXIF info into a database for searching as it's much quicker then searching individual files.
mpdragon 19 22
17 Nov 2002 7:08PM
Thanks! Toymaker - trees and sky was just an example. I'm trying to build up lots of images so I can play around with digital imaging. I know I can use file browser, but if I could add keywords as necessary, I could find specific things which may be spread out over several files.

bprice - my camera has exif, but I don't know what IPTC is. Maybe life is too short after all!
17 Nov 2002 9:25PM
IPTC (from Photoshop Help)

File information--also called metadata--is increasingly important in all types of publishing. Adobe Photoshop supports the information standard developed by the Newspaper Association of America (NAA) and the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) to identify transmitted text and images. This standard includes entries for captions, keywords, categories, credits, and origins.

In Windows, you can add file information to files saved in Photoshop, TIFF, JPEG, EPS, and PDF formats. In Mac OS, you can add file information to files in any format. The information you add is embedded in the file using XMP (eXtensible Metadata Platform). XMP provides Adobe applications and workflow partners with a common XML framework that standardizes the creation, processing, and interchange of document metadata across publishing workflows.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.