90% Off inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate Software Bundle

Eliminating "Haze"

3 Jan 2021 5:07PM
I hope this is the correct forum for this question, and apologize if it's not. I'm generally very pleased with my Canon SX60 - terrific zoom, and very lightweight. It seems very flexible so its great for clambering about on slippery boulders and ledges without needing a rucksack full of lenses and filters. My only criticism is that the more zoom I use the more haze needs to be eliminated, and although its Auto is generally hard to beat, it does tend to err on the side of haze unless its a bright sunny day. Its easy enough to correct in post but I'm wondering if its a fault, or simply a limitation. What do others think?
Philh04 Plus
15 2.2k United Kingdom
3 Jan 2021 5:14PM
Haze is present in the atmosphere and the more distant your subject the more affected by haze it will become, so it is not a fault but a natural limitation. As you say it is easy to remove in post but often it will add depth to the image (by creating the impression of 'layers'). Heat haze however is less easy to deal with...
sherlob Plus
14 3.2k 129 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2021 8:07PM
As Phil says Haze isnít an optical defect, but a environmental reality. However, on some days there is more haze than others. This would account for the variance you note.
3 Jan 2021 8:35PM
Cool. I started noticing it recently even on near subjects, though that said we've had some murky weather some days lately.. The main thing is its not a fault with the camera or with me! Thanks all..
banehawi Plus
16 2.4k 4202 Canada
4 Jan 2021 5:01AM
It depends. If you can actually see haze, or hazy conditions with the naked eye, the camera is likely to see the same.

If however there is no visible haze, and the images look hazy, that's a different issue. Many compact cameras can be poor at producing contrast in images which to some people will look like a washed out, or hazy image.

From your description which says more zoom = more haze, this appears to be a combination of the quality of the available light and the lens quality. On bright days it can be worse unless the camera had a lens hood, which some compact zooms don't. Pointing the lens towards bright light can tend to produce low contrast results.

W
4 Jan 2021 8:26AM
Thanks Willie - makes sense - Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.