Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Olympus EM10 mkii or mkiii?

cats_123 Plus
16 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
1 Jul 2020 6:59PM
Hi all...

I currently have the EM5 and am perfectly happy with it...have a little money 'sloshing' around and considering an upgrade to either of these two models ( or is there a better option out there?). I've had a brief read of the reviews and can't see an enormous difference on paper.

Is there anyone using one of these?

The WiFi on the iii would, in principle, be nice to have, but does it really perform? Having to upload to a pc for post production is a little frustrating, but would probably mean I would have to upgrade my tablet or buy a laptop... probably can't do both..

My pf is eclectic, and my main usage is for travel photography.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards Jeff 😁

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123 Plus
1 Jul 2020 7:02PM
Ps. Mpb sell the ii for 204, the iii for 294... that's probably the price range I would be looking at.
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.4k 7 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2020 8:46AM
Jeff,

I've a MK ii (and previously a i). All three versions have wifi connection.
Not 100% sure but I believe the only enhancement from ii to iii was the addition of 4K video.
I believe the E-M5 has 5 axis stabilisation, which was the reason I went from my mk i to ii.
I think the only benefits you'll see is the built in flash (which is handy) along with the wifi connectivity (again very useful)
What you would lose is weather sealing, never an issue for me as a fine weather photographer.

Direct Comparison
cats_123 Plus
2 Jul 2020 8:54AM
Thanks Dave, that's really useful 😁
derekd 14 15
7 Jul 2020 12:29PM
I have both the EM10 mk2 and EM10 mk3, both have wifi which works perfectly well with my tablet,But when downloading to me desk top computer I plug the SD card in it is much quicker.
Both cameras are excellent, although I prefer the mk 2.
cats_123 Plus
7 Jul 2020 12:43PM
Thanks Derek... that's good to hear. I'm actually expecting delivery of my choice of a mk 2 within the hour...😀😀😀
derekd 14 15
7 Jul 2020 4:30PM
hope you enjoy it

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.