Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

Emount Lenses on A7 Sony

23 Aug 2014 12:25AM
I am considering moving to new Sony A7
Could I use e Mount lenses on A7
I have been using NEX7 and NEX 5n with various lenses 18-55 , 55 200, 186mm and 35mm macro

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry Plus
10 543 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2014 7:58AM
Yes, you can use them, but you will get strong vignetting as the lenses are not designed to cover a full frame sensor. The A7 has a crop mode which only uses part of the sensor, and gives a reduced megapixel image.
I suggest you read THIS REVIEW by Josh which gives more info.
23 Aug 2014 2:42PM
The future of photography is full frame, Sony EF lenses are superb. They are also cheaper, smaller and lighter than A mount.
If you could run to it, the A7R at 36mp gives better image detail. Manage with your E lenses, and try to build up possession of some EF lenses.
The A7 range is dominating the smaller camera market, and is used by many commercial photographers.
LenShepherd 8 3.1k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 8:52PM

Quote:The future of photography is full frame,

Are you sure?
Crop sensor traditional DSLR still outsell 24x36 by 4 to 1 on body numbers, and 4/3 formats significantly outsell 24x36.
With high end 24x36 now coming under attack from medium format CMOS sensors as well; and sales being a big influencer on what gets made I see 24x36 continuing but see it as a relatively minor player in the overall future of photography.
Fstop007 1 1
2 Jan 2016 8:13PM
Curious at this stage of development what lenses would you bring to an African Safari? I have the
Sony alpha 7II and would prefer to not bring a physically large lens. Weight is relatively less annoying than size. FE lens ideal, but would consider others' experience.
2 Jan 2016 11:32PM
Quote: what lenses would you bring to an African Safari?

For the actual Safari a FE70-200G F4 would be perfect

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.