Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

End of contract which phone?

Fujiconvert 17 1.3k England
18 Jan 2011 5:51AM
I'm coming to the end of my contract and am seriously thinking of ditching my Iphone for the Samsung Galaxy. Has anyone any experience of this phone?
Reasons are I'm sick of being restricted to Itunes and the lousy signal I get in a lot of places even when other people have full ones. (on the same network)
The lack of being able to surf flash sites.
Is Android catching up rapidly?
I have had experience of Samsungs in the past and they are solid and reliable, just wondered what others thought.
Or if anyone has other recommendations I'm all ears.

Cheers, Phil. Wink
Bit_Blurry 11 79 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2011 6:55AM
I was an avid iPhone user for a fair while, but got sick and tired of Apples attitude when they released IOS4 which rendered my 3G pretty much unuseable (without massive lag anyway) not to mention their appaling handling of the iPhone 4 problems.
I also have a passionate dislike for iTunes and, like you, was sick of the lack of flash support as well as no "proper" bluetooth etc etc.

Anyway, to cut a long rant short, I got my first Android phone before Christmas and love it to bits. The OS is at least as good as Apples, the apps are stil lagging behind in quality but the market is so fast moving that it's only a matter of time before they catch up, if not overtake.
Android is a breath of fresh air compared to Apple, file transfer is a simple drag & drop affair although it has software to sync with virtually anything if you wish to do that instead. You can also do all the things that you forget about with iPhone, sharing files via Bluetooth, customising your screens etc, free ringtones and all the "old fashioned" things that iPhone simply won't do.

I went for the htc Desire HD, and am very, very happy with it. I've just bought my Wife the Samsung Nexus S which is another fantastic phone although the buttons are inconveniently placed as you keep pressing them by accident.
It has a sharper, more vivid screen than my HD but the image quality is still amazing on mine and of course it's larger which makes browsing, viewing photo's etc so much better.
Anyway, my recommendation (they'll be countless others for peoples own preferences) would be to have a nose at those two for starters.

I can't see me ever going back to an iPhone now I've seen the light Wink

Cheers,

Chris Smile

EDIT: Just to answer your signal question, my old 3G was fairly good for reception but my Desire easily excels it. My house is a complete blackspot for mobile reception, but even there I get 50-75% signal strength most of the time. Oh, and that's the other thing with the Desire, it's also a very good phone! as mentioned, signal strength is good and calls are crystal clear. Being a good phone is somethig most smartphones seem to forget about!
My Wife's Nexus is on a different network, so can't compare the two but she still gets reasonable reception where a lot of phones get nothing at all.
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Jan 2011 7:20AM
HTC Desire HD.
18 Jan 2011 7:47AM
Thanks guys, anymore for anymore?
You're right I do miss the simplicity of just dragging and dropping files instead of having the millstone of iTunes.
Phil.
newfocus 15 647 2 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2011 7:56AM
I haven't used the Galaxy but have had two Android phones (the latest's the Wildfire) and have been very happy with them both.
Bit_Blurry 11 79 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2011 7:57AM
I'd recommend a good Google, and try to suss out the genuine reviews. Phones are a personal thing. My HD is big, too big in fact for my Wife which is why she liked the Nexus. For me, with smartphones, the bigger the better really (as long as they'll still fit in a pocket.)
They all have pro's and cons, battery life is poor on the Desire HD, but on the flip side you can buy replacemets cheap from ebay and carry spares. Try that with an iPhone!
It's all horses for courses, you have to really work out what is most important to you and see what offers what you want.
"Android forums" is a useful resource, there's sub sections at the bottom for all the different android phones which has been invaulable for me.

Do be aware though that most people just post about their problems on there, so it's easy to form the opinion that none of them work!!!

Happy hunting!

Chris
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
18 Jan 2011 8:19AM
After years of using a Windows Mobile phone, I switched to a Desire HD a few weeks back and I love it. (Battery life may not be excellent, but it's better than my WinMo one Smile )
18 Jan 2011 8:36AM

Quote:Battery life may not be excellent

You just need to switch some settings off to make it longer, Bri. For example, background data, you only need it on when you go to market place. You can also switch mobile data off when you do not use it.
ejtumman 17 2.8k England
18 Jan 2011 8:40AM
WP7.... Love it Smile I have the HTC Mozart and it's an awesome phone.

E
monkeygrip 13 574 6 England
18 Jan 2011 10:24AM
I have the Samsung Galaxy S and love it the only downside to having that big lovely screen is the battery life you most certainly need to charge it once a day.

I use almost everything Apple ipad, ipods,imac and think they are superb but needed a phone that suited my needs and the Samsung ticked all the boxes, I actually dont like touch screen phones because they are slow to type on but get a shop assistant to show you the swype function on the keypad was a winner for me.
Henners88 12 204 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2011 10:24AM
Before you commit to a year old Samsung Galaxy S.......

The LG Optimus X2 is coming out in a few weeks... Wink

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5229/lg-optimus-2x-superphone-preview

Looks like a great phone, and I've got my name down for one.. Smile
18 Jan 2011 10:58AM
That's interesting.
Miles Herbert 19 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2011 11:03AM
We've had so many problems with LG phones. I bought 4 on special offer for various people, and within a couple of months only one was left working properly. One kept freezing up and not responding to anything short of dropping the battery out of it to reset it, one just died, one had all sorts of problems with alarms, organiser and other modules that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Other people I know who bought LG phones also had problems with some of them, so since then I have promised never to buy an LG again. Hopefully they will have sorted themselves out since ...

I now use a HTC Desire HD as my working phone, and a "cheap" Samsung Galaxy Europa as a personal phone ... the Samsung Europa is a lot of phone for the money, you can pick them up PAYG for around 80 or less, and for that you get Android 2.1, 3g, wifi and a bright clear 2.8 inch screen. I gave one to my son for Xmas and he loves it.
18 Jan 2011 11:11AM
I was going to say something regarding LG phone as well, Miles.
I used LG Viewty for a couple of weeks before. Even though I like the phone, but it is not very good at picking up signal. I could put an LG and a Samsung at the same spot, and samsung was picking up signal while LG didn't.
Henners88 12 204 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2011 11:46AM

Quote:We've had so many problems with LG phones. I bought 4 on special offer for various people, and within a couple of months only one was left working properly. One kept freezing up and not responding to anything short of dropping the battery out of it to reset it, one just died, one had all sorts of problems with alarms, organiser and other modules that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Other people I know who bought LG phones also had problems with some of them, so since then I have promised never to buy an LG again. Hopefully they will have sorted themselves out since ...

I now use a HTC Desire HD as my working phone, and a "cheap" Samsung Galaxy Europa as a personal phone ... the Samsung Europa is a lot of phone for the money, you can pick them up PAYG for around 80 or less, and for that you get Android 2.1, 3g, wifi and a bright clear 2.8 inch screen. I gave one to my son for Xmas and he loves it.

I suppose lots of problems regarding mobiles are down to bad luck. I know several people who have had LG phones with no complaints, and I've never had much luck with the 3 Sony Ericsson phones I've had. Its just the luck of the draw. The later LG phones must have improved since your experience as most user reviews don't report these problems as a common occurrence. Smile

I looked into the HTC Desire HD which looks like a cracking phone apart from the battery issue. Putting a 1200mAh battery in a msart phone with such a large screen was always going to limit its usage. Saying that, most of the forums have hundreds of users who have differing opinions on how long they can get their phones to last without a recharge. The overwhelming majority say you can get it to last a day with medium use, but I still think HTC could have put a 1550mAh unit in the device. I currently own a HTC Hero G2 and really wanted the Desire HD as I love the HTC interface, but I must admit the battery issue has put me off. Both the Samsung Galaxy S and the LG Optimus X2 have 1550mAh batteries and have more powerful processors with projected longer battery life.

I think all smart phones will be limited on battery life as they are doing more and more. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.