Energy bills too high?

RipleyExile 16 1.6k 17 England
26 Feb 2010 12:41PM
I caught the last half of a consumer program (on BBC1 I think) last night and it was concerning energy bills and insulating your house. It had the usual suspects on it, i.e. joe public being amazed at how much money they were wasting a year, energy company mouthpiece trying to explain why bills are so high despite massive profits and a fall in the wholesale cost of energy and Martin Smith.

Towards the end though a certain Mr Matt Stockdale made an appearence. I didn't know who he was either, but he was on the programme talking about his new venture " threatening to turn the energy market on it's head". Matt is the man behind atcostenergy which if it get's a licence from Ofgem could prove interesting.

What are the collective thoughts?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
26 Feb 2010 12:52PM
"The only thing that changes when you switch to At Cost Energy is the name at the top of the bill and the lower amount you pay at the bottom!"

That's what they all say Tongue and normally they are only half right Wink

Honestly the proof will be in the pudding I think, they promise a stripped down company with no frills sale of basic services which sounds very promising. However I do wonder about their after sales service and support features - the intro paragraph on their site gave me the feeling that I'd get power and gas but no repairs, no servicing, no support which are often things the other companies (esp in gas) offer.

I do agree something does need to be done, we've had problems with our electric bill (undercharged for ages and then suddenly they ramp up the charges because we owe them - for their fault at not billing us correctly.....) heck some of the companies appear to send out a lot of incorrect bills (with the overall view that they just send out any high amount and expect people to pay without checking and most paying on direct debit do and so don't notice - they just assume they've used more power/gas than they think they have).
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2010 1:16PM
Sounds a bit like Ben Scammell - Pipeline Card that came to nothing.
Would have been better off calling themselves pipe dreams.
simont 15 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2010 1:34PM

Quote:undercharged for ages and then suddenly they ramp up the charges because we owe them - for their fault at not billing us correctly.....

Surely you must have seen on the bills that they were only estimates and you could/should have suplied your own meter readings to correct the problem?
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
26 Feb 2010 1:45PM
Its only second hand info from me on that story (I don't pay the bills or even see them) it was the general gist that I was trying to convey that even the large current firms are not above underhanded methods.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.