WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

entitled to anything for photo in press?

IRaddict 17 34
29 Sep 2004 12:30PM
This is my first venture into the forum section so any response is greatly appreciated.
Here's the story, a while back I took some photos of a local band whilst they were producing a single at a friends studio. I got some good shots and they asked for a cd of the images to use on their website to which I obliged no problem.
Now, the single did really well and I've since learned that one of the shots has been used in the Guardian, NME and a local newspaper the Metro.
I have absolutely no problem with the image been used infact I'm quite chuffed about the publications.
The question I have to any knowledgeable folk is,
as purely an amateur am I entitled to anything and if so is there a certain procedure to follow?
regards
Steve
sabretalon 16 1.9k United Kingdom
29 Sep 2004 12:54PM
Yes you are entitled, the image is yours.

Personally I would make contact with the band and ask them how the images appeared in the press. Then remind them that the image is copyrighted and they should not have passed the image on but instead they should have come through yourself. You could also contact the mags and papers?

That may be all well and good for dealing with this sort of thing in the future but does not help you now. You could try and ask for the normal costs for this sort of thing in the circulation it got. You will have to deal with the band, because what the press will have thought is that the images being provided were their images and not someone elses.

I don't think you would get very far with this other than to chalk it up as a learning experience but you never know unless you try, what have you got to lose?
atelier44 16 49 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2004 1:05PM
Keep the tearsheets, and chalk it up to experience. The trick is to keep tight control of your images and arrange usage fees in advance. Editorial work is loooowly paid, so not worth the bother of pursuing I should think. Use it as a marketing opportunity. Contact the publications, introduce yourself and offer your services for the future.
IRaddict 17 34
29 Sep 2004 1:22PM
Thanks Glenn and Irv for the response, I know I have been quite sloppy with images but I guess I'll know next time.
Like you both say I feel it will be chalked up as experience with no regrets, I will take the step and contact the publications if only as a means of introducing myself as you have suggested.
all the best
Steve
sabretalon 16 1.9k United Kingdom
29 Sep 2004 1:34PM
Steve,

just for note. If you happen to be in a similar situation i.e. asked by someone to do a formal shoot. Get them to sign a model release form at the start.

When providing them with any requested images, include a document that has a statement on the images use, something like, the images provided can be used on their own website but not in any publication without the copyright owners written permission. Any breach of this will be charged at the stock image rate for such use and a 25% admin fee. Or something like that.

I think some of the model release forms have something like that on them, were the model signs to say they don't mind you using them for profit etc.. and that they are allowed to use their images within their portfolio but not for resale?

You should still inform the band that they are in the wrong, just in case they have other images from the cd lined up for use in other publications. Get them to pass on all image requests to you.
IRaddict 17 34
29 Sep 2004 6:17PM
Glenn,

thanks for the great advice, it has been taken onboard and prepares me greatly for the future. I will definately be contacting the band so we both have an understanding of how the images may be used.
regards
Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.