Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

EOS 300D mirror slap

Ewan 18 383 Scotland
4 Mar 2004 11:55AM
I'm on the verge of buying a 300D but am a little concerned by reviews saying that vibration caused by mirror slap is quite noticeable.

I'm wanting to shoot a lot of macro shots and am concerned that image sharpness will be adversly affected on longer exposures.

Does anyone have experience of this and can put my mind at rest?

Thanks,
Ewan
davidc 17 313 England
4 Mar 2004 12:05PM
I have a 300D and have used it for closeup and macro work with tungsten lighting. Have a look at my portfolio - the old camera, the bottles and toy bulldozer are of interest.

I'm not sure if they are close up enough for you as I don't know what you want to photograph. I use the Canon remote to take the shots, obviously on a tripod. For what I do, mirror slap does not seem to notice but I am by no means an expert. Otherwise, if you are not happy with the 300D your next bet will probably cost another 400 to 500.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2004 12:08PM
The mirror slap is quite audioable - which is what I think they must be talking about.

True, I have a reasonablely sturdy tripod, but the images I have a achived so far, both landscape and macro are pin sharp. My profile has several shots from my 300D - or if you want a good macro example have a look at the news on my homepage:

www.matt-photo.co.uk

Matt
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2004 12:10PM
Sorry, I should add that the sharpness in long exposures have not been a problem either.

Matt
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
4 Mar 2004 12:27PM
for an extra 300quid the 10D has mirror lockup.
Ewan 18 383 Scotland
4 Mar 2004 1:03PM
Thanks for that, folks. I feel better now Smile

I can't really justify another 400 quids for a 10D.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.