GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

EOS 5d formatting

benjibob342 13 36 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2019 4:10PM
Hi all, I have a 5d mk 1, everything works fine except the format card option, any card, no particular pref. something has stopped working, will it be a particular part and is it worth a repair due to camera age. Thanks in advance

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mike_Smith Plus
12 590 1 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2019 8:07PM
Can you try to reset the camera to how it was when it left the factory, you will have to look through the settings to find this option, certainly worth a try
Fma7 4 985 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2019 9:18PM
Does it give an error or just not do it?
Fma7 4 985 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2019 9:25PM
Have a look inside the card slot and see if any of the contacts are stuck down, out of place or dirty.
8 Oct 2019 10:25PM
thanks for suggestions, will have a look
10 Oct 2019 5:18PM
checked all options suggested and more,info on screen says compact flash not formatted, then cf -error even on a cf adaptor with an sd inserted. Worked correctly for a long lime. other operating settings are ok, its only the formatting not working.
10 Oct 2019 5:49PM
seems to me the fault is in the CF slot.
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
10 Oct 2019 8:16PM
The first thing I would check if you are able to see into the card slot easily is that none of the pins are bent or broken. It might be possible to coax a bent pin back into position.
10 Oct 2019 9:55PM
can see nothing untoward, repair will cost same price of another 5D, so... thanks
Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
11 Oct 2019 9:11AM
How many Compact Flash cards have you got? If it's only a couple of old ones that may have faults (even a faulty write protect switch) and a suspect CF to SD adaptor that's not enough to conclude the camera needs repairing or replacing.

Are you sure that everything works apart from formatting? Reading between the lines it sounds to me that there's more wrong than that.

Quote: I have a 5d mk 1, everything works fine except the format card option
If you are able to shoot images, play them back, erase ones you don't like etc and actually everything really does work apart from formatting then you can get round that easily. You can get by using "erase all images" - like this You can format using a card reader if you choose the correct parameters on the computer or just delete images on the PC to free up space.

Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
11 Oct 2019 1:44PM
If it turns out, as I suspect, that all actions involving the internal card reader are unavailable, and if you can check your memory cards in another camera or reader to rule those in or out then you may as well spend a fiver on one of these

Used carefully in tandem with something like this for debris removal you might bring that reader back to life. You will also be able to clean lens contacts, oxidised battery terminals etc with the same kit.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.