ePHOTOzine Camera Strap

19 Nov 2010 1:41PM
Hello everyone, we have been selling the ePHOTOzine camera strap since July 2008. Sales have been very slow, yet everyone I speak to who has bought one says they are great and often say it's better than the one that came with their camera. Can anyone tell me why we might be struggling to sell them, priced at 4 inc. P&P I think they represent a bargain.

Cheers
Dan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Kris_Dutson 16 8.2k 1 England
19 Nov 2010 2:02PM
For me it's simply the fact that I very rarely use a strap, and when I do the one I have is good enough - sorry.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
19 Nov 2010 2:04PM
If its compared to, say an OPTech strap (another popular design of neck strap) the EPZ lacks the release clips that let one remove the body of the strap when its not needed. Combine that with the fact that under the"Store" Tab the UK and US links are to external sites that don't sell the EPZ strap and I'd guess a lot of potential sales are simply lost because people don't know of the strap.
19 Nov 2010 2:12PM
I would have thought that was fairly obvious, because my camera came with one, why would I need another ?
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
19 Nov 2010 2:15PM
I don't know about sony but I know canon and nikon neck straps are - well - they are straps and they go round the neck -but I'm not sure comfort was ever a part of their design Tongue 3rd party padded straps are always superior (unless one always wears a scarf/high collared thick jumper)
franken Plus
16 4.9k 4 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 2:20PM

Quote:I would have thought that was fairly obvious, because my camera came with one, why would I need another ?

I've got two of the EPZ straps and they are great.

They are really comfortable as they stretch and take the weight off your shoulder and neck.

Yet to find one that came with any camera that are anywhere near as good!

Ken
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 2:21PM
I like a long strap (fnarr fnarr). The picture of the EPZ strap suggests that when hung round your neck it would rest about nipple height.
miptog 13 3.6k 62 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 2:23PM
From a quick internet search it looks like the EPZ price is a 1/3 of what others are charging. So that seems like a bargain. Its probably more a question of promoting the strap, getting it to come up in online searches etc.
Kris_Dutson 16 8.2k 1 England
19 Nov 2010 2:30PM

Quote:If its compared to, say an OPTech strap (another popular design of neck strap) the EPZ lacks the release clips that let one remove the body of the strap when its not needed

Which is what I use as I don't want the strap dangling around when my camera's on a tripod, yet when I do use a strap I don't want to be faffing around threading one on. Smile
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 2:38PM

Quote:If its compared to, say an OPTech strap (another popular design of neck strap) the EPZ lacks the release clips that let one remove the body of the strap when its not needed

Which is what I use as I don't want the strap dangling around when my camera's on a tripod, yet when I do use a strap I don't want to be faffing around threading one on. Smile

Me too - I usually have my camera "loose" and hold it with a hand strap on the battery grip. When it's like that I wrap the ends of an Optech strap around the lens so they aren't flapping.
If I decide I want a neckstrap I just dig the neoprene part out of my bag, unclip the ends from around the lens and join them to the strap, job done. Gives me the best of both worlds, as the saying goes.
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 2:46PM

Quote:Combine that with the fact that under the"Store" Tab the UK and US links are to external sites that don't sell the EPZ strap and I'd guess a lot of potential sales are simply lost because people don't know of the strap.

Exactly - the ePZ shop has, to my recollection, never been in the site menus and still isn't. So how are people supposed to find it?

The obvious "shop" link for UK users in the menu shoots you off to Warehouse Express. OK, ePZ get, IIRC, a cut if people buy from there, but does that offset the cost of in-house stock (and storage) that people aren't buying - simply because they don't know about it.

I've raised the point several times, initially the reason given was, understandably, because it was being trialled - surely the trial must have finished by now?

I've bought stuff from the in-house shop but only because I knew about it, the prices were good and the service very quick - so why not publicise it properly?
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 2:54PM
I bought my Optech strap (20) long before I knew about the EPZ strap and can see no reason to change.

.....mind you, anything's better than the one that came with the camera Smile
Miles Herbert 16 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 3:33PM
We used to sell personalised cheap straps like this, ours came with the quick release clips, but we stopped doing them when we found that the cheap ones use plastic "leather look" loop joints. We found that this would eventually break, causing your camera and lens to suddenly fall off your neck, which was a little disconcerting, so we stopped supplying them. It's an odd feeling when 3000 worth of gear hanging round your neck suddenly makes a dive for the floor ...

The Optech ones we have use proper leather on the loop joints and are a lot tougher, so we use those, and I simply don't trust the cheap ones any more ...

It's useful to have the quick release clips to take the strap off so it doesn't blow around in the breeze during long exposures on a tripod ... so that rules out the EPZ ones for me...
JamesGarfield 10 915 4 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 3:39PM
I won one (again thanks) but it's still in it's box, I don't use it because:

A. I don't have a issue with my Canon strap.
B. It has Ephotozine written on it & I don't have an Ephotozine camera, I have a Canon.
Toonman 12 1.4k 2 England
19 Nov 2010 3:51PM
If I hadn't have won one I would have bought one! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.