PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Ephotozine equivalent for painting

Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
18 Dec 2015 6:15AM
Rather odd question, I've been thinking for some time about having a go at painting. Is there any websites anyone use similar to epz to share ideas, images, techniques etc.

Similarly are there any good books anyone can recommend?

What are benefits of oil v acrylic (and visa versa) as you can tell I'm completely green when it comes to it

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
18 Dec 2015 9:29AM
Bound to be others but the Deviant Art community is the only thing I've seen, I imagine you've seen that and it's not really what you're after?
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Dec 2015 9:30AM
Blue Canvas is very close in style and feel to EPZ
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
18 Dec 2015 9:54AM
Thanks Chris and Keith. I will check out blue canvas ( yes Chris I know of Deviant Art)
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
18 Dec 2015 10:07AM

Quote:oil v acrylic

A fundamental difference is that acrylic dries very quickly and can be overpainted, unlike oil which takes ages - makes the process very different.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Dec 2015 11:08AM
Oil paints are capable of a richer pallet due to their increased dye quantity. Acrylics also have a tendency to darken once dry whilst oils will remain the colour you started with
18 Dec 2015 11:35AM
You can slow down the drying times of acrylic by using a fluid retarder.
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
18 Dec 2015 1:25PM
Thanks everyone, think I will just take the plunge and try oils. But dont know if it will end up being one of those passing fads when I realise its much easier in photoshop Wink
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2015 1:44PM
Oils can give lovely surface texture that changes with the viewing angle. Photoshop can't yet do that, though perhaps a 3D printer might one day.

Protect your drying Oils from dust - i learn this the hard way once and ended up with a 'furry' painting Smile
thewilliam 12 6.1k
18 Dec 2015 2:38PM
You can always varnish a print and you'll get the effect you seek if you a brush rather than a spray.
jumpsystems 15 19 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2015 2:59PM
I am a painter as well (oil landscapes mostly) and use a variety of sites such as Wetcanvas and About.com. Another option is to join one or two Facebook groups such as SAA (Society for All Artists), where you'll get lots of support.

Painting is very different to digital media. I find that there is a much greater involvement in the process and you can really see what's going on in the picture. Oil is a good start, rather than watercolour which can be really difficult. Acrylic can offer a similar experience to oil but I don't really get on with them.

If you want to sell your work online, again there are a few sites. I use Artweb, who host my site www.davidraison.co.uk although there are many others around.
petebfrance 8 2.9k France
18 Dec 2015 4:15PM
The only painting group I belong to is the Yahoo group 'Artanonymous.' Its quite quiet these days, but you'll get a lot of help there.

A lot of artists also use Facebook and Twitter - I'm a member of both, but don't really like them: I find Twitter slightly less annoying than facebook. Not sure that either would be useful for helping you to learn.

Learning to paint is fun. I used mostly books to start off with, but it is a long time ago - a visit to the local library is recommended, get a few and see which ones you like (I ended up buying the ones I liked)
Also useful were 'adult education' evening classes (the teacher who took them taught our daughter and was an excellent artist) at the local school, and I followed that up by joining a group (which I heard about in the evening classes) of artists who did life-painting (not so much classes, although there was an artist / teacher running it) and a then short evening course at Suffolk college on portrait painting.

Oils are fine, but be aware that not everybody likes the smell of turps - the are alternative thinners, but I have to admit I wasn't impressed with them. They are nice to use, though, and as they don't dry (well, cure may be a better term) quickly you can modify colours easily and push them around. Probably the nicest, well, in my opinion, but I haven't used them for a while.

There are also 'water-thinnable' oils. 'Artisan' by Winsor & Newton are an example. They don't have the smell, but nor do they have that really glossy look and I think the colours are not as intense. They can be irritating in that layers with more medium have a different sheen. The Artisan paints have a nice texture so are good to work with, dry slowly so you can push them around like 'real oils', and unlike 'real oils' you can wash brushes in water straight away rather than having to have a pot of turps to stand them in and clean them up before washing them in water. Yes, I like them, so use them a lot.

Acrylics. I use these a lot too, but they are quite different. Even using 'retarder' to slow drying times I find they can't be 'mixed on the canvas' like with oils, but of course the quick drying time makes them great for 'glazing (covering over with transparent layers to modify the original colour) scumbling' (covering over with semi-transparent/broken layers to modify). I find them more difficult to use, I have to admit, but then I learnt using oils, and others take to them like a duck to water.

Incidentally, beware of 'student quality' paints. They are cheaper, but for good reasons. The pigments strength tends to be lower than for 'artists quality' so you end up using more anyway, and of course the colours won't be as strong. Also, they tend to replace the more expensive pigments with cheaper mixes that don't always behave the same way on mixing - most annoying when you follow 'how to' examples from books - I love examples like those, often finding the 'stages' more attractive than the completed picture!
18 Dec 2015 4:26PM
One of the books I used is still available: The Complete Oil Painting Book
ans another, title is corny, but has a number of artists attempting to copy famous paintings in various media. The step-by-step instructions are a great way to understand how to use oils, acrylics, pastels ans water-colours: Paint Your Own Masterpiece

jumpsystems 15 19 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2015 4:31PM
"Oils are fine, but be aware that not everybody likes the smell of turps - the are alternative thinners, but I have to admit I wasn't impressed with them."

Alternatives are Zest It, which is citrus based. You could also try alkyd oils from Winsor and Newton, which dry quickly. I agree with the comment on student quality paint though.

Why not try Adult Education. With a half-decent teacher, you'll be able to learn much more than doing it alone.
18 Dec 2015 4:37PM

Quote:....Alternatives are Zest It, which is citrus based....
...quote]
That's interesting - thanks, I'll look into that!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.