Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Ephotozine equivalent for painting

18 Dec 2015 8:05PM
Wierdo alert....

I really like the smell of the oil painting environment....Smile

...but I also liked the darkroom chemical smells too..Sad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
18 Dec 2015 8:12PM
Knitting suits you better, Nick.... TongueWinkSmileGrin
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
18 Dec 2015 8:13PM
I wouldn't say it's weird - it's part of the magic of oil painting for a lot of people. Not so sure about the darkroom stinks, though.
SlowSong Plus
11 9.0k 30 England
18 Dec 2015 8:25PM
I love the smell of oils but the drying time is weeks. But they do give you lots of time to scrape and amend if you need to. Lovely texture. Good tip about the dust. Acrylics are very useable but don't have the depth or romance of oil. And as for the smell of the darkroom, mmmmmmmm off into a world of my own
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
18 Dec 2015 10:48PM

Quote:Why not try Adult Education. With a half-decent teacher, you'll be able to learn much more than doing it alone.

I'll second that. I don't know if the Uni do evening classes but often the secondary schools do them. You will learn a lot more & quicker with a professional art teacher.
Also see if there are any Art Clubs locally, they often have professional tutors with them.
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
19 Dec 2015 2:42PM
Thanks everyone, it's really appreciated. Much as I'd love to do a course, my job doesn't really make it a viable option, as I work away from home a lot, so I'd miss to much of the course.

jumpsystems 15 19 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2015 3:12PM
You could try a one-day workshop. That gave me the way in to oils together with some valuable tips.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.