Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Ephotozine Freezing using Google Chrome

DerekL 16 228 24 England
24 Apr 2016 11:12PM
I am using Google Chrome Version 50.0.2661.87 m (64-bit) and Windows 10.
Is anyone else experiencing screen freezing on Ephotozine after opening and running for a short time?
It seems to be freezing whilst running scripts that appear at the bottom left of the screen.
I am constantly having to restart the web page.
Using Internet Explorer 11 there is not a problem and other web sites are also OK using Google Chrome..
I have tried reloading Google Chrome to no avail.
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2016 11:26PM
Hi Derek,

I started this thread earlier this week to ask about site issues - to my mind things are not running as smoothly as perhaps they might, but I think the team remain to be convinced.

However, the long and the short of it is that you need to report this as an issue. David from epz requested we use this link:

https://www.ephotozine.com/create-report

Hope you get it sorted,

Adam
dlm71 6 224 2 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2016 8:04AM
The same happened to me last night with Safari so it doesn't look like its a specific browser that is effected. I clicked on a forum question and it completely froze me out, i too had to restart the browser but then i got the oops page when i reopened the site. (reported) All seems ok this morning!

25 Apr 2016 8:52AM
If you have an issue with the site can you please raise a report (link at the bottom of every page - contact support)

Thanks.
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
25 Apr 2016 9:17AM
I don't have an issue as such but the Gallery is very jerky and jittery. When I click on a thumbnail, the image comes up very dark for a half a second and then displays properly. It's not wrong or a problem as such since everything works but it makes viewing unpleasant. Other gallery sites do not exhibit this effect.

This is Chrome (latest build) Win 7.
capto Plus
9 6.7k 25 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2016 8:24AM
Most of my issues are with Chrome and not just this site.
I may reinstall with a fresh copy.
Maple62 5 15 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2016 10:35PM
It's not just this site that's causing problem, they seem to load the sites up with so many add ons and scripts it crashes the web browser. I turned scripting off on safari because it just kept freezing on the daily mail website, problem is a lot of the stuff on he site now won't work. Chrome regularly crashes, I send error reports to let them know. In an effort to give us a super whizzy website the website builders are actually doing the opposite, I just give up on websites that cause problems.
User_Removed 7 328 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2016 12:48AM
Try Firefox with NoScript addon. Takes a little while to configure with scripts that are actually required to make a site work, but stops others in theirs tracks....
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2016 8:30AM
A few things that might assist those who have trouble loading websites in Google Chrome:

Disable Adobe Flash Player

1. In your address bar type in 'chrome://plugins'
2. click 'Disable' under Adobe flash Player

This will mean anything that requires adobe flash will no longer work. In most caes, its only ads. But you can follow the same steps to re-enable flash player. In my experience, I have found flash player can sometimes take up huge amounts of CPU and memory usage.

Disable Hardware Acceleration

1. Go to Settings
2. Click 'Show Advanced settings'
3. At the bottom, uncheck 'Use Hardware Acceleration when available'

For some computers which don't have the best of hardware, disabling this can hugely improve speed.

Disable Unnecessary Extensions

1. Go to More Tools > Extensions
2. Uncheck 'enable' on any extensions you don't need to use on a constant basis. You can always re-enable them when you need to use them. Even remove the ones you don't use anymore.

Some extensions run in the background while you are browsing. One of the biggest culprits of speed issues is ad blockers and security software. They are constantly scanning and modifying the code on pages which adds additional overhead to page loading. Furthermore, they can cause more harm than good as they 'intelligently' block and modify code on websites.
Maple62 5 15 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2016 7:11PM
Why can't they make the computer/websites just work, I don't want to have to keep adjusting the settings I just want to click on the website, if the website designers can't make this happen I'll just not use that site.
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2016 8:25PM

Quote:Why can't they make the computer/websites just work

Well you could be running anyone of half a dozen different browsers, each probably has at least 4 or 5 versions out there, running on 12 different operating systems, with 8 common screen sizes. Which means a site needs to support at least 2800 possible combinations of equipment (in practice it would be much more).

Then you get browser plugins, malware, viruses, bugs all of which can affect your browser working. Add in the fact that everyone's connecting through a different ISP and therefore a different route across the internet and really its amazing that most sites work as well as they do.
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2016 1:03PM

Quote:
Quote:Why can't they make the computer/websites just work

Well you could be running anyone of half a dozen different browsers, each probably has at least 4 or 5 versions out there, running on 12 different operating systems, with 8 common screen sizes. Which means a site needs to support at least 2800 possible combinations of equipment (in practice it would be much more).

Then you get browser plugins, malware, viruses, bugs all of which can affect your browser working. Add in the fact that everyone's connecting through a different ISP and therefore a different route across the internet and really its amazing that most sites work as well as they do.

Ah - so what you want is a virtual browser - A big server in the cloud that displays all web pages perfectly then translates your clicks back to its position on the screen.
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2016 6:35PM

Quote:Ah - so what you want is a virtual browser - A big server in the cloud that displays all web pages perfectly then translates your clicks back to its position on the screen.

I think that is what Amazon tried to do with their silk browser. Which adds another browser to the list of browsers the site needs to support!
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2016 6:42PM
Nah, the answer is that every website releases it's own web browser on it's own operating system installed on it's own device which connects to it's own ISP. Then lock it down so no other software can be installed and stop users from tinkering with any of the code. Tongue
DerekL 16 228 24 England
28 Apr 2016 7:06PM
Uninstalled Google Chrome after spending a lot of time to get it to work properly, without success.
Now installed Mozilla Firefox and not having any problems.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.