Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

ePhotozine Image Used on External Website

Georden 5 11 England
21 Oct 2011 6:33PM
Hi there. My son was searchng the 'net, and came across one of my shots on a website. It is credited to me, and states it is from ePhotozine. Maybe I missed the point somewhere, but I thought I had read that ePhotozine had our copyright covered? Perhaps I just don't understand how this works. Could someone enlighten me please?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 12 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2011 6:36PM
You've got this wrong. ePz make it a little harder for people to steal images uploaded but not impossible. Nobody can make it impossible.
User_Removed 12 17.9k 8 Norway
21 Oct 2011 6:46PM

Quote:Nobody can make it impossible

Absolutely.

Post ANY image on the internet - and it's 'fair game'.

Yes - you own the © but... Smile
Georden 5 11 England
21 Oct 2011 6:50PM
Fair enough. I don't really have a problem with it, I just wondered if this was normal. Thanks for the feedback!
User_Removed 6 4.6k 1 Scotland
21 Oct 2011 7:01PM
More than normal... it seems to be standard practice and works like this:

Mrs G trawls the internet looking for the nicest images of a genre she can find.

She then collects them all together and posts them on her own website which, by definition, now contains a huge number of very attractive photographs.

She then signs up for a few dozen affiliate programmes that pay her so much per click-through and so much % on sales.

Punters are attracted to her website by the nice photos (including yours) and 0.005% of those punters click through to her client sites, thereby generating her income for her. It's the old internet story. Generate gazillions of hits of which a tiny percentage actually click through or buy anything and 0.00001% of £gazzilion is enough to buy an ice cream for the kids on Saturday.
Pete Plus
15 18.8k 96 England
21 Oct 2011 7:19PM
It shouldn't be used with out your permission send a report in to us with a link to the site and image and we'll take a look.
Georden 5 11 England
23 Oct 2011 10:47AM
Just to close this off, I contacted the site and they explained they are run by kids courteesy of a council grant. Setting up & running has been part of a learning curve, and they will make the appropriate changes to prevent such issues in the future. Matter closed.
Thanks for all the cooments & assistance!

George
Britman 10 1.7k England
23 Oct 2011 2:12PM
Does show that sometimes images can be used in error, not everyone has even a basic knowledge of copyright. So might have used to imaging thinking it's ok. Nice to know is now closed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.