ePHOTOzine Most Improved

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : most improved selected a while ago

25 Apr 2005 2:47AM
As part of the team helping to create the epz book I've been asked to look at the most improved currently in this thread we asked for your recommendations and we currently have this list

ajfrost
Alexball
atlas30
answersonapostcard
brm
Creative_Sara
Dani2
Davies
Daviewat
Digicammad
digiart
Ejtumman
Ex
exposure
Fizz
Flossie
Daffydill56
Frank Thomas
Frodo
helena
Insanebmx312
Jane Smith
johnjrp
Jeanette
Julesm
Katieb
Lobsterboy
lovelylindax
Mellyleth
Mikears
Morpyre
Osman123
lyne
Miles Herbert
Patricia Fenn
noseprints
theorderingone
Pstefan
Scallop
Stevieb
stuwhitt
Sugarbird
Synaesthesia
tinabolton
SuziBlue
Tigerminx
Tce5
Turtle1
Warb
Willabob
Wotashot
Zippie

Are there any others who you feel have developed most from using ePHOTOzine?

When the whole list is compiled Pete will pic a shortlist of 5 to 10 who we will then want an early and current pic from.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KatieR 16 6.2k 6
25 Apr 2005 3:12AM
My tolerance has improved. Does that count?
kit-monster 16 3.7k 2 Singapore
25 Apr 2005 3:17AM
Lol . . . is this a self nomination thread or a pat on the back thread?

If it were self nomination, then you'd have to rely on a high degree of honesty as the the prospect of being in 'The Book' makes that all the harder.

And how do you vote on some else's work if they joined before you did? Maybe all that's happened is their style has shifted to a type of photography that appeals to you.

K - as you posted and you are on the list, I'd say judging from the first and last pages of your portfolio that you consistently produce excellent results. Personally I feel your early work was more natural and less composed - is this an improvement? So where as I really like your work, I'd have to be honest and say that you've maintained a high standard but not necessarily significantly improved. As for what you've learnt in your time on epz - loads. I'm sure you know all about f numbers and narrow dof etc. and can now photoshop an image within an inch of it's life.

And good luck with the project and well done for taking on such a tough section.
KatieR 16 6.2k 6
25 Apr 2005 3:21AM
That's the ticket, Edward -

What is "an improvement" - discuss.
KatieR 16 6.2k 6
25 Apr 2005 3:21AM
Just jesting.
25 Apr 2005 3:26AM
Pete will pick from the list of nominations when they are complete, I'm just doing the admin work to cut down on the time it takes. The nominations were from a previous thread, I didnt vote or nominate myself, others did and there is nothing wrong with that, lots people felt they had improved by using the site. People will be picked on the basis of whether Pete sees an improvement in the time those nominated have been members.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
25 Apr 2005 3:30AM

Quote:any others who you feel have developed most from using ePHOTOzine?

If people have improved their photography, how do we know its "from using ePHOTOzine"? Except for ourselves, of course - which brings me back to kit-monster's question:

Quote:is this a self nomination thread or a pat on the back thread?

Conrad
25 Apr 2005 4:36AM
Whats wrong with a pat on the back anyway? This section I thought would be one of the best.
ejtumman 16 2.8k England
25 Apr 2005 4:40AM
Nothing wrong at all with a pat on the back. But this could be a tricky one, as most people who have been on here for any length of time have deleted their earlier shots from their portfolios.

Emma ;o)
conrad 16 10.9k 116
25 Apr 2005 4:43AM

Quote:most people who have been on here for any length of time have deleted their earlier shots from their portfolios

I havent - but then, I wasnt about to suggest my portfolio was a good example of material for the book. Not EC material.

Conrad
25 Apr 2005 4:47AM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Pete's against deletion, so I'm sure he'll only be picking people who have left there earlier work up.

So do you want more nominations or are you suggesting we comment on the above list?
IanFlindt 15 740 21 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2005 4:49AM
I nominate Chris Rudland , although strictly speaking he has gone from being pretty damned good to being damned damned good. It might encourage him to upload another image into his portfolio (last one was 9 March).

Katie Barclay has already been nominated, so I won't say anymore except that if she doesn't make it into Pete's shortlist I'll eat my hat.
25 Apr 2005 4:59AM
Just new nominations only if thats OK. I dont think discussing those already listed would be in their best interests, I'm sure Pete will be able to decide and why when the time comes. Better take my name off then, I've deleted alot of my earlier stuff.
25 Apr 2005 5:01AM
Ian - interesting you should pick those two as I feel they are excellent examples of what should and shouldn't be included.

Katieb is a classic example of what I think this section should be about. She picked up her first camera a couple of months before joining epz and has improved. Her early work shows a natural eye - her later work is more polished and in my opinion, improved.

Crudland on the other hand . . . he has ten years experience before joining epz. Within days, he's asking us to assess his photography site. His work is damn good, but has it improved or has his ability to pick shots that the average epz punter likes improved? I think the chap should have a slot in the landscape section, but not the most improved?
25 Apr 2005 5:04AM
K - sorry, I shouldn't have made any assumptions about Pete! I didn't realise you had deleted.

Why can't we discuss the current list - surely, a list is required that's in the best interest of the book - not the individuals? If the book succeeds - then that will be good for the site.