Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

ePHOTOzine Photographer of the Year - your thoughts please

JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
20 Nov 2007 11:30AM
Leave POTY to the printed magazines !

But if you do run it then, as Conrad suggested, the prizes have got to be available to everyone .. not just UK residents.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2007 11:35AM
I like the idea and agree with Allie on increasing the weighting on the "placed" images.

I did also wonder why just entering would score 1 point? (first time I've seen that idea) - scoring for shortlisting is good though.

As a thought:

1st - 5 points
2nd - 3 points
3rd - 2 points
shortlisted - 1 point

I think keep it simple - open category (Pros vs shamateurs vs snappers) and make it worldwide
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
20 Nov 2007 11:53AM

Quote:In the examples given the first gets 12 points for entering but the second gets no points for entering. Slip of the keyboard?

Whoops yes should have been (10+10+10+3)

Quote:Quite a drop from 1st to 2nd compared to all the others

Quote:10 - 6 - 4 may give a bit more weight to a 3rd place?

seems to work a bit better

Quote:Without limitations as to country of residence, etc.?

Ideally not, but sadly it all depends on the sponsor. We will do everything to ensure a worldwide sponsor but it's often out of our hands.

Quote:then the chances of submitting good winning entries throughout the year is going to be very difficult to enable you to be placed

To earn title of ePHOTOzine POTY means you have to be good at any challenge we throw at you.

Quote:Photographic Consistency will be rewarded, rather than just winning a couple and nowhere in the rest.

So in the 10-6-4-2-1 scenario someone who comes first three times but only enters three gets 33 points (10+10+10+3) and someone who enters all 12 and is shortlisted gets 36 points (12+24) And that's the bit I'm struggling with. Do you feel it's better to get shortlisted on all 12 challenges than enter just three but win?

Quote:Would you have to be a fully payed up member to enter or be an active member without paying the yearly fee...?or could you just use the site for the competitions without being a active member.
Anyone who has registered and ticked to receive newsletter, although we may have one entry for non e2 and two for e2 per competition.

Quote:Why not just have 5, 4, 3, 2,1 points per month/competition?

It would make the scores unbalanced. For example I think it's better if someone who enters just four rounds and wins three should win over someone who enters four and comes 1st twice and second twice. Still all open to debate and development.

Quote:Will it be one big comp or categorised? i.e Pro Photographers, Hobby Photographers, Young Photographers etc?

Planned as one big competition as creating subgroups will over-complicate it.
cambirder 16 7.2k England
20 Nov 2007 12:03PM
I'm with ColWal on this, with just 1st 2nd & 3rd you have a strong chance of several people with the same score at the end of the year, higher marks for the top ten say 15, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.

That leaves 2 points for shortlisted shots and 1 for the rest.
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
20 Nov 2007 12:06PM
the Grand Prix scoring system may work Smile
User_Removed 16 3.3k Russian Federation
20 Nov 2007 12:07PM
Which brings us back to who will be doing the judging? For all our idealism about impartiality, as a website, we are more of a community than a magazine, some people have a more obvious style than others and some people might have p*ssed others off in the past.

Will there be independent (i.e. properly independent, not mates from outside) judges?
20 Nov 2007 12:09PM

Quote:The Grand Prix scoring system may work

Yes but think of all the protests going in.

E.g. Cambirder docked 5 points for use of illegally modified 5D Smile
20 Nov 2007 12:11PM

Quote:Which brings us back to who will be doing the judging?

Good point, for goodness sake do not let it be a general members vote (not even for one round)
Cephus 15 2.6k England
20 Nov 2007 12:12PM
Count me out!
backbeat Plus
14 134 1 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2007 12:13PM
i wouldn't stand a cat in hells chance, but i like the general idea of it.

phil
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
20 Nov 2007 12:15PM

Quote:Which brings us back to who will be doing the judging?

Whoops forgot to answer that. I will get a panel of judges. This panel will probably include me (or one or more of our team), a representative from the sponsor and an expert in the field that the particular challenge covers.
20 Nov 2007 12:17PM
Sounds good.
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
20 Nov 2007 12:17PM

Quote:I will get a panel of judges. This panel will probably include me...

Judge not lest thee be judged! Wink
csurry 18 9.2k 92
20 Nov 2007 12:31PM
Ah Pete, one day you'll realise it is just easier to implement the idea and deal with the flack in a years time when people don't like the winner Smile
Digicat 13 127
20 Nov 2007 12:33PM
oh well thats me out too Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.