ePHOTOzine User Awards

11 Oct 2019 9:11AM
I've had a message from a Plus Member that they'd like to have more daily User Awards to hand out, so I'm creating this topic to gather a wider opinion.

Currently Plus Members get 4 per day.

Free members 1 per week, the limitation being an encouragement to become a Plus Member and help support the site.

If we were to increase the daily allowance for Plus Members, what would we raise it to?

Is there an argument that having more would devalue their worth?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Oct 2019 10:32AM
I made the request to increase the number of awards that could be made by Plus Members from 4 to 6 daily. The reason for this is that there are so many good shots worthy of being awarded UA status.. Sometimes I have done 4 awards in a day only to find some other author has posted a great shot that is also worthy of an award. David
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
11 Oct 2019 10:39AM
If you run out of awards on the day, I believe you can give an award retrospectively. I find four to be sufficient.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
11 Oct 2019 10:41AM
I think the current allowances are fair. Four awards a day does make you think twice before handing out an award.
There is the possibility that giving too many will devalue their worth.

If you find there are more images you would like to award than you have awards, then one method to use is to shortlist the images, then towards the end of the day re-visit them to reassess your original choice. I often find that looking at them a second time a few hours later leads me to deselect some because I see things which aren't quite right/good enough as I at first thought.

Keeping the permitted number of awards at four a day makes you more critical of the images before awarding a UA.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
11 Oct 2019 10:42AM

Quote:If you run out of awards on the day, I believe you can give an award retrospectively. I find four to be sufficient.

An award can be given at any time, as long as the image is still in the galleries...
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2019 11:28AM
I can see how you might spend a good time going through many photo's and want to award more than 4 in a single sitting. Also the award is not 'the best four' in a single day that you look at the galeries - its for all photo's you think deserve a bit more credit.
If you sit down and see 10 great photos why not award them all - its too hard to remember them and go back anyway ( Unless you can have an add to shortlist button and then a compare page to award the best 4).
Personally i think its brilliant cymru2019 goes through so many photo's and want to add positive feedback - it enriches the site.
Yes there may be exploitation with some that award everything, or some that award all their friends each time.

Of course awards are one quick way for positive feedback - comments are another - personally i prefer comments as they are more informative Wink hint hint Wink

Should you have 100 award a month. or even 100 a week? Why not if you use them well.

Maybe the members about page "https://www.ephotozine.com/user/jackalltog-97593/about" should also then show awards given, and top 20 awarded photographers with an award count, so others could see potential bias or excessive usage. On a more positive side this could also then show up, across many awarders, photographers producing popular good work.

I'd not deny an encouraging soul like cymru2019 from having more awards to use, i'm glad he takes the time to do so.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
11 Oct 2019 12:29PM

Quote:( Unless you can have an add to shortlist button and then a compare page to award the best 4).

The shortlist facility already exists.

Quote:Maybe the members about page "https://www.ephotozine.com/user/jackalltog-97593/about" should also then show awards given

Again, this already exists - in your pf, under photos, 'Award Gallery'

capto Plus
7 5.9k 13 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2019 12:44PM
The more there is of anything the more its value is diminished.
pablophotographer 8 1.3k 353
11 Oct 2019 1:31PM
Please keep them as they are.
mrswoolybill Plus
13 1.7k 2096 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2019 1:56PM

Quote:The more there is of anything the more its value is diminished.

Absolutely right!
The quality of what appears in the gallery does fluctuate from day to day, and just occasionally there are more than four pictures that I want to award. So I simply go back the following morning. I see no need to increase the number, it would devalue both the giving and the receiving.
Originally paying members had just one UA to award per week, and it became something of an occasion - settling down on a Friday evening with a glass of wine and the shortlist. I miss that in a way.
11 Oct 2019 2:01PM
Personally I think the more awards people have to give out the less valuable they become.

I'm guilty of not being on the site much of late but when I am I like to shortlist and then review shortlisted images together before giving awards.
chavender Plus
9 403 1 France
11 Oct 2019 2:12PM
As Moira says, the quality of images does vary from day to day.
One option would be to roll over the awards to 24 per week therefore keeping awards at the same level but allowing for the quality variance.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
11 Oct 2019 2:22PM

Quote:
One option would be to roll over the awards to 24 per week therefore keeping awards at the same level but allowing for the quality variance.

From the site's point of view, I assume that this is not desirable.
I imagine the site wants members to look in every day, not just once or twice a week in order to hand out a whole week's allowance of awards in one go.
pink Plus
16 6.1k 7 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2019 2:43PM
You could always volunteer as a Guest Editor for a week, then the ultimate in awards is at your disposal!
I personally think 4 per day is adequate.
chavender Plus
9 403 1 France
11 Oct 2019 2:59PM
I agree, 4 per day is perfectly adequate.
The weekly thing was just suggesting an alternative Wink.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.