30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Epson 2100

gib spawny 17 46 1 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2006 2:24AM
I have been using since new for a couple of years and I'm considering an upgrade once the new HP's and Canon printers have been reviewed against the Epson 2400.

So in the mean time I want to decrease my prints cost while as the volumes seems to be imcreasing steadily. I might as well flog the old horse while its days are numbered.

I bought a cheap Ultrachrome system on eBay and the results have been pleasing. You get want you pay for springs to mind. Its seems getting refills is a big problem although there site list them and it came shipped with the ink.

I'm thinking of using good compatibles that offer the same quality and longtivity as the OEMs I have used. I do re-sell some of the larger prints so want to make sure people are getting value.

A new Lyson CIS would be the dream but at 300 quid its seems at lot outlay and after using a cheap version they to require a bit more of attention.

Does any one have the same problems and whats my best solution, perhaps a recommended compatible ink brand and why, are the results better then expected.
_ 16 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
21 Apr 2006 3:37AM
Buy an empty CIS system and use the cartridges from a 7600 or 9600 printer to fill it.
Most CIS systems use 125ml bottles and the 7600 cartridges have 110ml in them so they fit in w/o having to worry about what to do with any extra.

When I used my 2100 this is the way I went and the costs were dropped to around a sixth of running Epson 2100 cartridges.

John
BOB S 19 2.6k
21 Apr 2006 4:38AM
There are many other CIS on the market and in fact the Lyson one does not rate too well, I found one that I was going to get for my Epson 1290 that uses catridges without and sponge in them that got good reviews but at the moment I cannot lay my mouse on the details.

i bought a HP 130nr instead.

Will see if I can find the details and post back.

BOB

PS the Lyson unit is about the most expensive on there is and their inks are exhorbitatntly expensive.
21 Apr 2006 5:00AM
So am i'm going to have to disregard compatibles as not being up to standard?
BOB S 19 2.6k
21 Apr 2006 6:01AM
I have used compatibles in my 1290 for the last 2 years with no issues other than they last 50% longer than Epsons own carts.

ONce they are profiled to produce accurate colour they work fine, or at least the ones I use do.

BOB
21 Apr 2006 6:24AM
I've seen some results on a 1290 and they look just as good as the originals. But the ink in the 2100 is different to the 1290. Seeing as this is a stop gap and 7dayshop are doing them for 99p each and there based here in Guernsey, it looks very tempting at a quick glance? Its just the resell issues of lifespan that is holding me back.
BOB S 19 2.6k
21 Apr 2006 6:47AM
The ink in compatibles for the 2100 are also different in that they are the same as the Epson 2100 originals.

Quote:Its just the resell issues of lifespan that is holding me back.

Sorry translation required !

BOB
21 Apr 2006 7:04AM
Lifespan = Will they last as long as original's with OEM inks. This is important as I re-sell some of my work. I don't want stuff coming back pink and faded.
_ 16 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
21 Apr 2006 8:48AM
with the 2100 and compatible inks.......be they from a CIS or from cartridges.....you must be aware that profiles must be made to match whatever media you use.
With the Epson inks you get the profiles already installed on the printer driver and for the most part these are fairly good, maybe needing a slight tweak but not far away. Using the same profiles with some compatible inks (Lyson Fotonic springs to mind here) can be so far out that you can not tweak it to get it right, here you must buy or make profiles for yourself and here is an expensive hidden cost (profiles cost around 30 to buy and around 800 to get the hardware to make your own)

I do think that the cost of 2100 cartridges is extortion, but the ink contained in them is really very good.
My original advice to you would be the way to go if you are looking for the piece of mind that using epson inks gives you in terms of longevity.

John
BOB S 19 2.6k
23 Apr 2006 5:28AM

Quote:(profiles cost around 30 to buy and around 800 to get the hardware to make your own)

I have monaco EzColour software that allows me to produce profiles for any printer/paper/ink combination I like, cost about 250 3/4 years ago but has certainly more than paid for itself in reduced frustration and wasted paper/ink. I think it is now a bit cheaper in fact.

BOB

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.