EPSON Dirty Tricks - be warned!

videoman Plus
14 58 1 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2007 2:13PM
Hi Folks,
I bought a new Epson printer earlier this year as I've had three now and they have all served me very well.
However, this might well be my last Epson.
I read a while ago that all printers produced after about April would contain a new chip which would prevent the use of third party ink. The printer simply gives a warning then stops and will not print.
Fortunately I bought mine just before the deadline and it still works with third party ink, after giving you the usual warning about damaging your printer. This message used to come up once for each new cartridge.
However, I recently changed all my Epson cartridges for third party ones and I now find that the annoying message comes up EVERY time you print and in addition it says "Ink levels are no longer available" and fails to show them.
This is a restrictive practice in my opinion and I fully intend to report it to trading standards.
I can understand why Epson is doing this but I think they are tackling it wrongly and I for one won't buy Epson next time round.
Regards.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Aug 2007 2:35PM
Is it not the fault of your third party inks and not the printers fault that it can't read the ink levels.
videoman Plus
14 58 1 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2007 2:53PM
Keith,
It's not the third party inks.
When I replaced the first Epson cartridge the printer showed the ink levels OK, and continued to do so until I had replaced all the Epson ink.
Regards.
strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2007 2:55PM
It is the 3rd part inks problems as otherwise how would the printer know it does not have Epson carts, answer, the cart is not fully emulating the Epson part.

It's a bit like some old Sigma lenses not working on later Canon cameras. Is it Canon's fault or Sigma.

If you were Epson and sold a product at lower than its cost of manufacture and made your money from the inks would you not want to prevent some upstart who had not paid for the printer design or manufacture under cutting you?
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
22 Aug 2007 3:06PM
...I have an Epson R200, some 3 years old which accepts 3rd party carts.
and reads the levels without any question.

....Mike
redsnappa 16 2.0k United Kingdom
22 Aug 2007 3:17PM
Very simple problem to sort just don't buy Epson products which is what I have done.

If Microsoft did this and only allowed the use of Microsoft applications with Windows XP and Vista there would be uproar and they would be dragged through the courts
22 Aug 2007 3:24PM
If the cartridges matched the printer requirements it would work.

Actualy Microsoft do do this, as do Sony. X-Box and Playstations are sold at below actual HW cost and money made on the games that can only be bought through the licensed route only.

It can be argued that Apple and Microsoft do what you say as developers have to match the requirements of the OS or the product does not work. And how many people slag off Windows because of poorly written applications.
redsnappa 16 2.0k United Kingdom
22 Aug 2007 3:46PM

Quote:Actualy Microsoft do do this, as do Sony. X-Box and Playstations are sold at below actual HW cost and money made on the games that can only be bought through the licensed route only.

Wrong!! lots of different companies (such as Edios, Sererra, Rockstar games) make games for the game consoles you mention.
Epson are striving to be the monopoly provider of printer cartridges that fit their printers no other printer manufacturer are doing that.
22 Aug 2007 3:57PM
They all pay a license to do so. Do the 3rd part inks pay Epson? If they licensed the interface no problem. Just like Sigma have not licensed the Canon lens IF but Tamron do....
Brom 14 804 United Kingdom
22 Aug 2007 4:06PM
There was a court case many years back and the printer manufacturers were told to release information on their cartridges to ensure fair competition, I expect this is their way of making things so irritating that you go back to their ink. it is a restrictive practice and im sure when someone complains to the correct authorities they will have to release a patch
thewaiter 17 1.2k 9 England
22 Aug 2007 4:38PM
Is the quality of the print that much better using a third party ink system?, just curious as I have only ever used Epson inks......

Kevin
22 Aug 2007 4:39PM
My experience is worse with clogging problems
Chrism8 12 930 26 England
22 Aug 2007 4:46PM
I use an Epson R1800 and have tried third party cartridges, none that I have tried match the quality of the genuine inks.

For HP 990CXI , no problem using alternatives, although I don't use this as a photo printer.

Chris
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
22 Aug 2007 5:17PM

Quote:Is the quality of the print that much better using a third party ink system?

Highly unlikely to better than using the genuine inks, at least at the lower end of the market, or according to some, even at the top end of the market with expensive C.I.S. systems.

Problems are likely to be colour problems, archival issues and clogged heads which can be an absolute nightmare. There's nothing worse than watching your expensive ink go down the drain following numerous cleaning cycles.
Farne 13 4 1 England
22 Aug 2007 5:35PM
I use Canon printers and they do not work well without genuine Canon inks. The quality is atrocious and the clogging problems are almost as bad. David.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.