Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Epson drivers for an i Mac

28 Oct 2006 5:37PM
I have recently swapped from a Windows computer to a Mac, I downloaded the drivers for my (old) Epson 890 for the Mac but I have found that they are not as comprehensive as the Windows drivers.
I cannot change the dpi setting & I dont have the utilities to tell me how much ink I have left, also as it is now USB driven & it prints so fast I get some banding & strange colours.
Thanks for any help.
Malc
redsnappa 18 2.8k United Kingdom
28 Oct 2006 6:25PM
the banding is the typical Epsom problem blocked nozzles. Run the cleaning facility in the Epson drivers.
shed 17 586 England
28 Oct 2006 7:37PM
Hi Malcolm

You can get to all of the printer settings by going:

Applications>Epson Printer Utility

If you dock this then when you print you can click it and then select utility.

From here you should see the familiar set of controls.

The Mac OS is a little bit different to Windows XP etc, but once you are used to it, it's much quicker to do things (more intuitive) and in general a better computing experience. Certainly many who have gon from a PC to a Mac would never go back.

As redsnappa has said the printing problem is nothing to do with the Mac OS.
28 Oct 2006 8:07PM
Thanks for the info but I think you both misunderstod what I was trying to say.
I cannot find the settings in the printer software (in the Mac) that allow me to alter the colour balance settings or alter the dpi settings, ie 720dpi 1440dpi or 2280 dpi,hardness digital, camera correction etc. would it be that my printer is obsolete that the Mac drivers are so basic?.
Would a new printer have a more comprehensive set of controls like I had with Windows XP within the driver software for my Mac?
I had already run the cleaning utility several times prior to my first posting to try to get rid of the banding. I am not used to the speed of the USB connexion as I had a much slower parallel connexion before.
Thanks again
Malc
PS I have now found most of what I was looking for except the dpi settings.
Thanks again. Malc
mdpontin 17 6.0k Scotland
28 Oct 2006 8:10PM
Sadly, Epson have long had a less than stellar reputation when it comes to their drivers/software for the Mac. I think things have improved with more recent printers, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mac software for an older Epson was a bit lacking compared to its Windows counterpart.

Doug

Edit: Have you tried Epson support to see if you have the most up-to-date version of the Stylus Photo 890 driver for Mac OS X? This is the PowerPC version (1.3a), and here is the latest version (v3.0a) for Intel.
Superficial 14 147
28 Oct 2006 8:32PM
Are you sure you're looking in the right place? I didn't realise the wealth of options available at first - They're hidden in the print dialogue box (see picture).

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/tomnelson/Picture1-1.png[/IMG]

Although I guess my printer is more recent.

Perhaps you can try the GIMP drivers for your printer, they might be better for you?
_ 16 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
28 Oct 2006 8:33PM
Personally I find all my Epson printers much more intuitive to use on my Macs than I did on my PCs. It took a little while to suss out just how things worked on the mac and once I did it was plain sailing.

When you hit print you should have a print dialogue box come up with the name of your printer, the Presets (if you have any presets) and below that you will have a drop down menu that starts with Copies and Pages. Use this menu to get the settings you are after and then hit print.
One other thing I love about this print menu box is that it is basically the same whatever printer you are using, thus doing away with the need to learn yet another interface if you are using a different brand of printer.....amazing!

Hope this helps some,
John
28 Oct 2006 9:09PM
Thank you all for your very helpful advice, I have fiddled & farted about & it has made a great difference to my confidence about printing on my Mad Mac, I thought it should be a better machine as it has a more profesional air about it.
Is that snobby or what?
Thank you all very much.
Malc

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.