Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Epson R2880 colour cast printing in ABW?

psiman 16 574 Wales
22 Apr 2013 8:40AM
Hi Folks,

I have a 4 year old Epson R2880 (only relatavely light use) using Epson inks which on the whole I'm very happy with. However I do find that occasionally when I try printing in ABW mode I get a colour cast (either magenta or greenish currently). Same paper, same image, all other settings the same (printing using LR 4.4, Profile "Printer Manages.."), only thing that's changed is I've recently switched back from doing a small print run using the Matt cartridge.

I've run a head cleaning (nozzle check good before and after), performed alignment check and ugraded driver (Windows 7 64 bit) but no joy. Has anyone any ideas on how I can solve this frustrating problem?

Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson 13 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2013 10:48AM
If printing from photoshop make sure you are not double profiling. ie photoshop set to manage printing selected, and then having the printer settings set as printer manages settings. One or the other.
Hope this helps
CTee 13 131 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2013 11:59AM
As you are only a light user, have the inks gone off due to age? Used to have that problem with a Canon the yellow would turn orange!
psiman 16 574 Wales
22 Apr 2013 12:24PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys,

I'm printing from Lightroom 4.4 and I've made sure that I have the profile set to "Printer Manages..."

When I say I'm a relatively light user I have replaced all of the cartridges at least 6 times and up to 11 (depending upon the colour), so I don't think that the inks should have gone off

Simon
GlennH 15 1.9k 1 France
22 Apr 2013 1:02PM
There's a suggestion somewhere on the internet that gently shaking the cartridges after periods of inactivity might resolve the issue! Usually you'd use a custom profile to try and improve neutrality when RGB printing, but ABW mode should presumably remove that necessity (that's the way Epson intended it, anyway).
psiman 16 574 Wales
23 Apr 2013 11:58AM
Thanks for all your help, I thought I'd better close this off.

I was coming to the conclusion that the problem must be ink related in some way and had taken all the cartridges out and shaken them. I started to go through a series of Head Cleaning cycles and I think I was starting to see some improvement, then the Vivid Light Magenta cartridge ran out (last changed in November) and after I changed it and it had gone through its cleaning cycle the resulting test print is much more neutral!

Thanks again for you help, I was tearing out what little hair I have left over this problem!

Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.