Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

EPZ misconceptions

Emmaelle 16 12
16 May 2006 9:11AM
Markulous - WOW! Midday sun must be good!
keithh 18 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 May 2006 9:12AM
I'm assuming that Malcolm reads (Trademark KeithH) and doesn't realise that it refers to my useage of the phrase Acid Smarties.
Wink

First thing is. To break the rules of composition, which took 30,000 years to evolve, you have to understand them...not know them - understand them.

Secondly - I've been telling people to shoot at any time of day all my life. It's not the time, it's the light BUT it occurs more frequently outside of the midday hours. Fact. Get out of bed or stay sober long enough.

Use whatever lens suits you, the subject, or more importantly - your style......but you must have one.

But I will add this one - Learn how to focus and what to focus on.
That above anything else is a fault of many landscape togs.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
16 May 2006 9:12AM
As I'm a lazy sod and can hardly ever drag myself out of bed before 10 at the weekend, a lot of my shots are midday'ish.

Personally I like the magic hour because it gives me different results to my normal ones, but I also like all other hours in between. It's the light that matters, not the time, it's just that at sunrise and sunset you have a slightly better chance of decent light.

Ian
joolsb 17 27.1k 38 Switzerland
16 May 2006 9:24AM
Wot Keef sed. Smile

Point is, it's not the light; it's how you use it. Some subjects work better in diffuse light while others need good sidelight. The warm light of sunrise and sunset is flattering to nearly all landscapes but that doesn't mean you can't get a spectacular sky at other times of day. And then there's always the beautiful light following a storm.

Basically, if it looks good; shoot it. Otherwise, don't bother. The general rule is that midday light is often very harsh and rarely flatters any subject - especially in high summer - but rules are made to be broken...
chrisfroud 16 521
16 May 2006 9:28AM
Totally agree with Keith and Jools - good photos need great light whenever in the day that comes.
deegee 16 181 United Kingdom
16 May 2006 9:40AM

Quote:Wide-angle - low sun is the new chocolate box...

Guilty as charged!

I'm looking forward to the day that chocolate box is the new chocolate box then Equilibrium will be restored Smile

Here's my pitch,

I want to be out there early and late 'cos that's when I feel most in tune with with the world. The light is changing more dramatically. There's that feeling of anticipation in the morning, or slight melancholy at another day done in the evening. It's where you can be lost in the moment. It's about being there. For me the photography is secondary (and it probably shows Smile but It's a great way of connecting with the outdoors.

Smile
andytvcams 19 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
16 May 2006 9:40AM
LOL,who started this thread!
chrisfroud 16 521
16 May 2006 9:42AM

Quote:LOL,who started this thread!

Opps - guilty Smile
UserRemoved 17 6.2k 1
16 May 2006 9:52AM

Quote:It's about being there

Well said, Dennis! I tend to set off early - mainly to make the most of the day. And tho' I've been guilty of being sidetracked by taking pics, I often will just take in the day and forget picture taking, even if I ensure I've got my camera!
conrad 17 10.9k 116
16 May 2006 10:02AM
My most recent midday shot, which I rather like - but which had to be shot at midday (or do without proper light on the subject).

But ... of course Keith is right with his comments above. Wink

I do understand where Chris' original post is coming from, though - sometimes we are indeed almost treated like offenders when we shoot something different than people seem to expect.

Conrad
keithh 18 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 May 2006 10:14AM
Actually Conrad's image best illustrates good and full use of midday sunlight.
Centurion 17 1.2k England
16 May 2006 10:43AM
Midday Sun? Mmmmmmmm, good for IR photography too.

Gav
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
16 May 2006 11:18AM
It's rarely a problem with b/w.
lobsterboy Plus
18 15.0k 13 United Kingdom
16 May 2006 11:26AM
Another miscconception is that you need sunlight at all - why not take shots when its p*ss*ng down?.
martin.w Plus
19 614 29 United Kingdom
16 May 2006 12:01PM
Or every single photo from the recent Derbyshire meet!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.