Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

EPZ v 500px

Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
21 Nov 2013 10:04PM
I only use one other site, and that`s only because they keep banning me Smile

This is still the best by far.
Dave_Collier 15 236 2 England
21 Nov 2013 11:24PM
I was on 500px but found many of my images were being stollen and published elsewhere. One aspect to be aware of.
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2013 9:15AM
Everyone will be pleased to know that we are in the process of overhauling the site so it is more mobile and tablet friendly.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Nov 2013 10:31AM
Will forum video links work on tablets, Dave, now that Android are also falling out with Adobe?
jken 15 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2013 10:43AM
Personally i won't visit 500px ever again, as Dave_Collier above, had an image lifted by 500px and used by an App developer to promote an App he had developed and was giving away for free, as it was a free non profit App 500px have a clause written into their terms that allows them to do this, they take the credit the photographer looses out. You have to dig deep within the terms but it's there.
Dave_Canon 15 2.0k United Kingdom
22 Nov 2013 11:32AM
Personally, I would almost always use my Desktop PC. Apart from the larger screen etc. if I am out on the road I have other things to do rather than look at a photomagazine. I find using the internet for anything on my Android phone almost impossible. At a hotel recently it took me 15 mins to log into their WiFi (they made it difficult because they wanted you to choose a charged for version!) then another 10 -15 mins to successfully access my emails. At that point the battery went dead which is the other problem with smart phones. I have just bought a tablet primarily for remote control of my DSLR but just had a look at the ephotozine site and it looks OK to me on a tablet.

Dave
EG Plus
11 24 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2013 12:48PM
Why must everything be modernised when even the new cameras are going retro in design because we like it and feel comfort and quality from it. EPZ has got it just right all about photography and a bit of social networking intertwined.

EPZ for me all the way

Eddie
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Nov 2013 3:00PM
By not becoming a clone of the other places.Grin

ePHOTOzine remains ePHOTOzine.Wink

Ok, So it's not perfect LOL, But what the heck is these days, I think the " Better Devil You Know " applies here.

So lets see, How about the teams IT experts coming up with an, Dare I say it " APP " ( Really hate that term, But it will do for now ) Anyhow that might please those who insist on using titchy screens for everything..............Sshhh, That's a whole different rant....Wink

Just like smilies really.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
22 Nov 2013 4:45PM
What 500px and 1x have, that's mainly lacking on EPZ is a more international feel, more diversity in the images. All have strengths and weaknesses. 500px is just a glorified slide show. 1x has arguably the best body of images, and forums, but is elitist and certain images do better than others - because your images have to be approved, you tend to get images that fit the curators tastes. Sadly, these days I do spend more time on those sites when I'm looking for inspiration (and judging by a lot of familiar names on both sites so do many, who haven't posted here for quite some time Sad ).
Niknut Plus
11 2.9k 82 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2013 5:10PM
500px & others aren't in the same street as EPZ !!!!!!!.......OK, so they attract more international stuff, but as previously mentioned
they're a glorified slideshow, with rather low feed-back, & lacking in the 'cameradery' that exists on EPZ !!

Neither do they have 'forums', 'reviews', 'news', etc., etc.....that makes EPZ such a top web site.....it's got it all, or at least everything
that I would ever want.........& long may it continue !!

It might sound a bit sad to some....but I love my daily 'fix' of EPZ !!!!!!Smile
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
22 Nov 2013 5:36PM

Quote:I was on 500px but found many of my images were being stollen and published elsewhere. One aspect to be aware of.

That could have happened just as easily on any site including Epz.

As for 500px having a clause that allows it, that really makes no difference

Anything that you post anywhere on the internet will be considered by some to be fair game and will downloaded, re-used or whatever.

If you don't want your images to be open to it, don't upload them.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
22 Nov 2013 9:36PM

Quote:Neither do they have 'forums', 'reviews', 'news', etc., etc.....that makes EPZ such a top web site.....)
1x definatly has forums, interest groups and a tutorial section.
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
22 Nov 2013 9:54PM

Quote:Neither do they have 'forums', 'reviews', 'news', etc., etc.....

Perhaps not all but most other sites have these to, at least, some extent.

DPReview springs immediately to mind.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Nov 2013 12:05PM
I finally had a good look around 1x and found the answer to the question of "How far up ones own a@$ is it possible to be?"

Wink
ianrobinson 11 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2013 10:42PM
The Issue I find with Jesters answer " If you don't want your images to be open to it, don't upload them" is the following.

If we all had that mentality there would be no photography to show or learn from or be inspired by, in fact I would say there would be no photography.
I have had some images of mine used, no good crying about it, in fact it was nice that someone liked my images that much they needed to feel the urge to steel them, if anyone wants an image that bad there is not much you can do about it really unless you want a shorter life through stress.

I make good Money doing photography so the ones that get stolen are part of the deal in my eyes, as far as I am concerned I own the original raw file and that cannot be stolen, so to be honest it doesn't really bother me that much, I know I own the Image and so do many other people.

We all need photography to be inspired by including myself, that is how we all learn after all.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.