Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

EPZ v 500px

karl Plus
17 655 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2013 10:47PM
I nearly signed up with 500px to host my photos, but went with Flickr. 500px have (or had) a rights land grab on your images and what they could do with them unlike Flickr who had a narrow scope over what could be done with your images (basically to allow them to use them on the flickr site).
779HOB 9 1.2k United Kingdom
17 Dec 2013 7:16AM
The trouble with Flickr is that its the first place people go when they want a free image! Joe public don't know about sites like 500px they just head over to Flickr. I haven't read the 500px T&Cs nor the Flickr ones to be honest so I am sure Flickrs are better in terms of saying they protect ownership but they do nothing to prevent images that are not uploaded under CC terms from being downloaded. As is always stated you can't stop someone grabbing and image from the net but you can make it harder and Flickr don't.
karl Plus
17 655 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2013 3:51PM

Quote:The trouble with Flickr is that its the first place people go when they want a free image! Joe public don't know about sites like 500px they just head over to Flickr. I haven't read the 500px T&Cs nor the Flickr ones to be honest so I am sure Flickrs are better in terms of saying they protect ownership but they do nothing to prevent images that are not uploaded under CC terms from being downloaded. As is always stated you can't stop someone grabbing and image from the net but you can make it harder and Flickr don't.

Really, no, you can't. You might put an anti-right click Javascript on - I'll turn off JavaScript or I'll just go to developer tools. All those kind of things do is annoy users that have a genuine need to carry out right click actions (open in new tab etc.). If it's visible on the net, a copy can be made quite trivially. Looks like 500px t&c is a lot better these days anyway.
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2013 5:19PM
[link=m.ephotozine.com]m.ephotozine.com[/link]

Try browsing this on a phone - ephotozine fast and mobile. Smile
19 Dec 2013 9:21AM

Quote:If it's visible on the net, a copy can be made quite trivially. Looks like 500px t&c is a lot better these days anyway.

Of course! I don't really get how your reply relates to my post. But I'm sure it does in some way I've missed. All I am saying is that Flickr is easy for people to download images from and it's the first place people look or images.
karl Plus
17 655 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2013 10:23AM

Quote:If it's visible on the net, a copy can be made quite trivially. Looks like 500px t&c is a lot better these days anyway.

Of course! I don't really get how your reply relates to my post. But I'm sure it does in some way I've missed. All I am saying is that Flickr is easy for people to download images from and it's the first place people look or images.

Err... it relates because you said you can make it harder and Flickr don't. You really can't make it harder for someone to make a copy of it, as I said it's trivially easy no matter what you do. If it can be viewed then it can be copied, I could teach my Mum how to do it Smile

I'd wager the first place most people go who want to steal an image is google actually as well Smile
19 Dec 2013 10:47AM

Quote:you said you can make it harder and Flickr don't. You really can't make it harder for someone to make a copy of it,

As Flickr do nothing anything in place makes it harder, whether that be disabling right click or watermarking. It doesn't stop it but it makes it harder.
GlennH 16 1.9k 1 France
19 Dec 2013 10:53AM
Flickr always appears to me to be a good springboard for having your photos illegally swiped and shared across the internet, regardless of any individual's tolerance of that. The 'curating' element of it promotes that, Pinterest style, with zero regard to copyright. It's happened to me - picture swiped from a library, posted on Flickr, ended up all over the internet. If anything bothers me about that it's just the ignorance and indifference behind it.
derekhansen 12 210 24 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2013 2:02PM
I use EPZ as a mixture of photo viewing, social networking and of course as a platform to display my images. I like the people on here and I have learned a lot just by seeing the work of others better than me. I do view on my Android phone occasionally and there are a few glitches in its use but hey I didnt even use a PC until my late twenties so perhaps I am easily impressed by all this smartphone stuff.

I have tried other sites and here is my opinion on them.

Flickr - Too big and impersonal.

500px - Not bad and it does have more international stuff but feedback tends to be limited to the "Nice shot" "Great image" type of comment ( Might as well just have a like or vote button). Gave up quickly as I couldnt see any benefit over and above using EPZ.

1X - Lots of international contribution and some extremely high quality photography. But I agree it is elitist and in the area I am most interested in which is Landscape and Architectural photography, I would say 90% of the images on the site have been heavily processed which may not be to everyones taste. Information about the image from the majority of posters and feedback from viewers is pretty rubbish.

Phlearn - Much more about tutorials and photo technique but if you can get past Aaron Nace's style of presentation (ie the use of the word awesome as a full stop at the end of every sentence) then you will find find the content to be very good indeed. Its not really a social network site but they do have contests. Probably the best tutorial site I have found.
User_Removed 8 10 4 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2013 11:26PM
I recently returned to Epz using my iPad and found it more difficult to navigate and understand what's going on etc that 500px
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
20 Dec 2013 6:30PM
Navigating Epz. has always been a nightmare.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Dec 2013 7:42PM
Only for people who cant read, surely?
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
20 Dec 2013 8:08PM
I can read well enough Keith; actually, I'm something of an expert.

The problem with finding anything on here has always been just that; the 'finding' bit.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.7k 30 England
20 Dec 2013 8:14PM
Blimey Jester, it's easy enough, even for me. Wink
saltireblue Plus
11 12.0k 75 Norway
20 Dec 2013 8:34PM

Quote:I can read well enough Keith; actually, I'm something of an expert.

The problem with finding anything on here has always been just that; the 'finding' bit.

Have you tried fine-tuning your dioptre?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.