Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

EPZ v 500px

SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 8:27PM
Facebook and Twitter are hardly photo sites.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
22 Dec 2013 8:29PM
I would disagree Chris, your far more likely to get a print sale from publicity on Facebook than EPZ. Photographers on the whole don't buy prints from other photographers - Joe Public do.

There are so many photo groups on Facebook, from advice on manipulations, details on upcoming salons and competitions (why isn't there anything on here for that BTW), groups to sell gear, groups for different genres etc, etc.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
22 Dec 2013 8:30PM
indeed they are not

would you agree that the reason people no longer "join in" on EPZ may be related them using social media instead?
Pricey 16 290 2 United Kingdom
22 Dec 2013 8:34PM
I've been around long enough to see how the voting system works, or don't work!

I think Pete should have put in a few Dictionary's in this years Christmas Prize Draw!
What gets me more than the voting, is the congratulatory comments some people use.
Great, Brilliant, Fantastic, Wonderful picture/composition/lighting.

When even a Blind man could tell at best it's Mediocre/average and sometimes damn right poor.

Don't get me wrong there are some 'Great, Brilliant, Fantastic, Wonderful pictures on this site'.
Just not as many as some people would believe!
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
22 Dec 2013 8:35PM
To a point Ade, also I think some have been put off due to bad experiences. Some have left due to rants - one notorious session lead to quite a few members leaving - or been asked to leave.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 8:35PM
Well, that doesn't stop them from using the gallery.

That was in answer to Ade. Got lost in the traffic
22 Dec 2013 8:40PM
indeed it does not stop them from using the gallery.

but would you agree that the reason people no longer "using the gallery" on EPZ may be related them using social media instead?

genuine point though - I've been putting stuff in various yorkshire related photo groups on Facebook and had a very positive experience

and those who have sold up and no longer take photos won't have many images to upload into the gallery, potentially?
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
22 Dec 2013 8:42PM

Quote:Well, that doesn't stop them from using the gallery.

No it doesn't, but so many have unfortunately.

There's also a point you need different image sizes for different sites, at least for optimum quality, so when you chose which site to support this could be a factor. Tho I stopped putting borders and resizing to EPZ sizes, I now just save for the sizes used by salons - at least then I'm no longer spending ages resizing (and I did spend ages on sharpening etc) - but there is a compromise on quality.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 8:51PM

Quote:Indeed it does not stop them from using the gallery.

but would you agree that the reason people no longer "using the gallery" on EPZ may be related them using social media instead

So, do you know any ex-epz photographers using social media instead of here? If so, tell them to get their ars*s back on board Wink

(just an aside, my predictive text brings up Ade as Adequate! Does it know something I don't? Grin)
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
22 Dec 2013 8:55PM

Quote:do you know any ex-epz photographers using social media instead of here? If so, tell them to get their ars*s back on board

Yes quite a few, and others that use the other 2 sites mentioned, but those that use 500px/1x (that I know) had issues on here and just moved on - and in a couple of cases there work has gone to a different level , its a shame we don't see there work on here any longer.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 8:57PM
It is. It's like a whole Hall of Fame has gone.
LesF 14 182 9
22 Dec 2013 9:06PM

Quote:would you agree that the reason people no longer "join in" on EPZ may be related them using social media instead?

A strong point that Ade, people once on here and still active show there images on social network sites, it appears to be a wider audience, specially when you take into account the various group sites that are international, hence your own images are projected to that wider audience
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 9:11PM
So, how long does it take to get known and get a following on these social sites? And how do you go about getting known? Not by voting on people,s images and hoping they reciprocate, surely?
22 Dec 2013 9:12PM
Matt and James pretty much sold up and started cycling instead, not sure whether Dave Tandberg's used any of his vast array of cameras in the last 2-3 years... favouring motorbikes instead.

I've got accounts on most other sites yet never use them - well very occasionally upload a few to 500px then wonder why I bothered.

Do get far more out of Facebook than anything these days - just seems to be far more activity there, and many of them are people I see regularly, people who've been clients, people who may be in the future etc.

Still not sure of the benefit of spending hours and hours commenting on every photos on photo sites...

Having fun in the forums was always best

Shame they are all less active and, dare I say it, boring.....?
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 9:19PM
Yes, well, seeing as all the entertaining and argumentatiive b*ggers have left, that's hardly surprising.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.