Regatta Summer Sale: Up To 60% Off Outdoor Clothing

EPZ v 500px

ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
22 Dec 2013 9:21PM
why hardly surprising ?
22 Dec 2013 9:22PM
I知 available for good-natured to moderately offensive arguing if anyone wants to start something.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
22 Dec 2013 9:22PM
Funny, just been dusting down the bike, as that's what I was into before photography, and need to shift the weight Wink I will be honest spend more time on FB than EPZ these days, talking to the guys that was on here a few years back. I've got a Twitter account, but dont like it - texting to the masses. All mine say check out my photo..
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 9:23PM
Well if you've got no-one to bounce off surely it'll get boring.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
22 Dec 2013 9:23PM

Quote:I知 available for good-natured to moderately offensive arguing if anyone wants to start something.

...Ade over to you Wink tho substitute highly for moderately
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 9:28PM

Quote:I知 available for good-natured to moderately offensive arguing if anyone wants to start something.
Samuel, the man with no substance. Can't have a heated debate with someone with no stuff! Grin
22 Dec 2013 9:40PM

Quote:Well if you've got no-one to bounce off surely it'll get boring.

awwwwwwww - you got no mates Sad

I have the odd blast on Twitter, use lists and things, but to be honest, it's not something I've really "got" yet... I understand the theory, just never really joined the "conversation"

Facebook's ace. .

Best night was me and Barrie Harwood (remember him) commentating on the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony... that was funny, especially when the real queen appeared...

Wink

Nick's right - virtually all of the old guard are on, and still in touch via face book..
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 9:44PM

Quote:Well if you've got no-one to bounce off surely it'll get boring.

awwwwwwww - you got no mates Sad
[quote/]

No. Sad

And now me battery's going flat. Blush

22 Dec 2013 9:48PM
reach for the vodka!
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Dec 2013 10:00PM
I keep being told how people have gone onto greater things.....than what? And then when I find them I find nothing more than I see here and elsewhere.

( as an aside, my own sabbatical was nothing to do with my own work or the quality of the work on this site....in fact had it not been commented on, few would have noticed my temporary dissapearance. )

In the end, what keeps me coming back to EPZ is my dislike of so called elitism, often by those who need to self-subscribe to that belief.
SlowSong Plus
13 9.7k 30 England
22 Dec 2013 10:24PM

Quote:So, how long does it take to get known and get a following on these social sites? And how do you go about getting known? Not by voting on people's images and hoping they reciprocate, surely?
No-one's answered this yet. Still wondering. Smile
779HOB 9 1.2k United Kingdom
23 Dec 2013 7:41AM
I came back to EPZ because I liked the forums - but as mentioned they are slow now. I hardly ever look at the gallery anymore, mainly because I don't have time to wade through the hundreds of photos to find the one I like. I used to spend a lot of time looking at the gallery but I find there's little there now I like. I don't look at 500px either.

I do spend time looking at photos on social media, Facebook and Twitter have some good/excellent photographers as do sites like EyeEm. You just have to look a bit but they are there.

My morning coffee site viewing order is currently; email, Twitter, Facebook, EyeEm, EPZ forums (and I don't always get to the end of the list). A few years ago EPZ was the first in that list, maybe because the others either weren't there or weren't as developed then, don't know.

I also don't see the value in other photographers liking my work - that doesn't matter at all to me. The people I want to know like my work are those buying it. That's why I don't upload here anymore. It's just an extra job without any gain.

I still think EPZ is a good place to learn you just have to ask the question and someone will give you an answer. If I wanted to know what was wrong with a photo I would upload to the forum and ask rather than the gallery though.

PS - I would still limit voting to one vote ,per week, per member.
23 Dec 2013 10:20AM

Quote:So, how long does it take to get known and get a following on these social sites? And how do you go about getting known? Not by voting on people's images and hoping they reciprocate, surely? No-one's answered this yet. Still wondering. Smile

well usually you start by finding people you know - I think you can even use your email address book to do this, so instantly you could get 20-2000 friends.

Then you start posting stuff - if people share or like these things, they appear in their feeds for their friends to see. If they like what they see, they may friend/follow you.

Content is currently "king" apparently, so creating interesting blogs and articles and sharing links to them on social media is a good way to get an audience. If you strike gold, it may go viral and you can get lots of new followers.

If you start video blogging, you may get to the stage where YOUTUBE actually pay you.

Gaining and losing "friends" on social media isn't really the same as reciprocal clicking. Reciprocal clicking is blind - it's cold hearted fishing with no other intention than the selfish gain of votes.

With Twitter, you're effectively texting the whole world - whether they find you or not is a different thing. using # tags helps, I often tag things with #yorkshire or #leeds as I'm sure a lot of people list those search terms

With Facebook you're broadcasting to people who have "friended" you - you get "known" by people sharing your stuff, or, perish the thought, actually meeting people then adding them at a later stage.

If you shoot a wedding, say, and pop shots on facebook, you'll see quite a few people asking to be your friend so they can see the photos... that kinda thing.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
23 Dec 2013 10:52AM

Quote:I often tag things with #yorkshire

Now that must pain a Lancastrian Wink
23 Dec 2013 11:04AM
DAGGER IN THE BACK EVERY TIME.. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.