Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Equestrian/Show jumping

fran_weaver 11 44 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2010 10:18PM
do you agree with shooting in jpg as Linda mentioned or would you favour RAW
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2010 10:25PM
I always shoot RAW at shows, but it really depends on your workflow, and the rate you are required to produce prints. Or humble little unit displays shots to the consumers on the day, so tweaks are applied at the time. The customers tend to focus on the expressions or poses of the horses (more so than that of the riders), but having some artistic control makes your shots more meorable to non-horsey people.
LensYews 12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2010 11:08PM

Quote:So how do you manage without using flash

One option is to use a fast lens like the 85mm/f1.8, the other is to increase the ISO and on the 5dmkII you should be still getting acceptable images at 1600 or 3200.
18 Feb 2010 11:15PM

Quote:Do you agree with shooting in jpg as Linda mentioned or would you favour RAW

Shooting for myself I shoot raw, if I'm shooting for others JPEG. Raw slows down my workflow (only just got all my shots from last weekend's events online last night, and still have some other to process) but allows me more options, like shooting a couple shots underexposed and recovering in the raw software, instead of increasing the ISO a couple of stops and picking up the noise at the time of shooting.
danh 11 61 36 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2010 10:02AM
I always shoot jpeg for sports, mostly because of the speed of the buffer in the camera - if I'm trying to shoot loads of frames off, RAW fills the buffer too quickly and the shutter stops firing at its maximum burst rate.

I don't think I've worded that very well but I hope you know what I mean. Tongue
19 Feb 2010 10:20AM

Quote:I always shoot jpeg for sports, mostly because of the speed of the buffer in the camera - if I'm trying to shoot loads of frames off, RAW fills the buffer too quickly and the shutter stops firing at its maximum burst rate.

I don't think I've worded that very well but I hope you know what I mean. Tongue

That's one of the advantages of equestrian sports over American football, the action is over quicker so you don't fill the buffer in most cases. In Showjumping the horse is only going to be at the jump for 2-3 seconds for a single jump, maybe an oxer sequence would start testing the buffer a little at perhaps 8-10 seconds for 3 jumps, but normally would be three bursts rather than one continuous one. So Raw is a reasonable choice for the sport if you can afford the processing time afterwards.

(For me its the titling, captioning and keywording that takes the time, around 80%, in post processing rather than the raw conversion which is perhaps 1%, with the remaining time being importing, editing and uploading).
julsj 11 2
20 Feb 2010 3:14AM
Hi Fran,

I know as a rule photographers use manual mode only! However, I am new to the business and I do equestrian photography using the Sports Mode on my Camera (Sony A200) with a 70-300 lens and get the most fantastic action shots! Not sure if your camera has this feature but if it does give it a try. Julie
fran_weaver 11 44 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 11:21PM
Well thanks for everyones advice. I've finally finished editing the pics and have uploaded one (I'm sure there will be more to come). All I need now is more practice, they do say practice makes perfect!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.