WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

Equivalent Lens

Ratcatcher 13 25 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2020 10:12PM
Hi All

I've been away for a very long time, but as we are in an very unfortunate situation at the moment it 's encouraged me to get my camera out again and I'm getting rather excited about taking some pics again. Now I can't remember when I last posted something on this site, probably about ten years ago. I don't even recall taking any worth while pictures within that time.
I still have the same gear as I did then, but I am considering changing my Tamron 17-50 for something that is more equivalent to to this present time to use for more everyday use. I've had the standard 18-55 and the 16-45 lenses. I don't really want to spend too much on one, but saying that it depends what it is. and whether it's worth the extra outlay.
If it's not worth it then that's fine, just interested in what people have to say. Let's hope that once again I can contribute to this site.

As always your thoughts and opinions are most welcome

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2020 10:34PM
Hi Richard,

Good to have you back, even if under tricky circumstances. I looked at your portfolio and wow yes ages ago with a pentax and some lovely photos.

I'd say stick with what you've got until you know you are back into photography enough to warrant the spend. Heck since last time you were here, camera phones have improved amazingly, and with your wider angle lenses a camera phone might be almost comparable.
That said it you are after something with longer reach then the 70-300 ranges from Sigma etc are all pretty good in my opinion.

Thera has been in the last year a camera mount shift for Nikon and Canon to compete with the Sony mirrorless models. If you are not wedded to Pentax ( i lave Pentax as it was my first film camera) then you may also want to look at the newer mounts. Nikon/Sony seems to be interesting at the entry end of the market.

Best Wishes,
Stuart
28 Apr 2020 10:45PM
Thanks for the input Stuart

Iím very happy with the K5, I was just thinking of changing the Tamron 17-50 for something more up to date as a standard walk about lens, as I originally purchased it secondhand. As you said itís probably worth me waiting to see how things go.
It would be nice though to have a new toy.

Richard
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2020 10:53PM
LOL, ah my shopping list for toys is immense Smile but lockdown and family furlough has me being forced to be creative instead.
I wish i was still a Pentax shooter and could advise you on good Pentax glass for the K5.

ePhotozine used to have (may still have) dedicated microsites for Pentax - perhaps some one else can advise.
Looking at recent Pentax reviews here will be good - reviews seem much better now days on ePhotozine - See https://www.ephotozine.com/site-search/pentax/date

Even better in these times is to click through to view or buy from ePhotozine links.

Good luck in your search.
29 Apr 2020 8:45AM
Iíve seen a Pentax DA 17-70 f4 for sale what are your thoughts on this lens.
Or am I going in the wrong direction ?
29 Apr 2020 10:49AM
On hindsight I think because Iíve been out of touch for such a long time Iíve probably lost my confidence a bit.
I think that for the moment Iíll stick with the Tamron and get and out take loads of photos and begin to enjoy it again. Iíll upload them onto the website get critique and go from there.
Thanks for all of your input

Richard

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.