Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Error 734 - PPP Link protocal Terminated

simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2007 8:12PM
Hopefully one of you very clever people out there will be able to offer some advice about the above error message.

Since the other the day the internet connection has kept dropping out and the first couple of attempts to reconnect give the above error message.

I've tried googling for the error code and that's thrown up one or two suggestions which have been unsuccessful.

Tried contacting Orange - might as well have not bothered they suggested that modem wasn't plugged in properly.

Modem - Speedtouch 330
OS XP

Since I started typing this, the connections been and gone a couple of times! Im now considering swopping internet supplier to Sky where I can get tv and tinternet for the same cost as this crappy Orange service! Is that a pain free process swooping supplier?

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
16 Dec 2007 8:21PM
Here is what Google came up with as the first result.

Quote:Tried contacting Orange

That might be your problem
Sad
My sister-in-law is with Sky and she seems happy enough with them.
16 Dec 2007 8:35PM
Thanks Doug,

Think I'll be looking for another provider!

Simon
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
16 Dec 2007 10:17PM
Might be worth seeing if its an issue with your local exchange first.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2007 10:32PM
I had one of those modems, did it not come with some diagnostic software to check out your connection?

I think you need t ogo back to Orange, it could be a fault with your local exchange, do you get lots of clicks etc on you phone line?
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
16 Dec 2007 11:04PM
John`s got a point. I had an issue the other week, my ISP insisted it was my router at fault and I new differently, had a job convincing them but I did.

I used the diognostic software that came with the netgear and found the fault, the following morning my ISP got an engineer on the case and fixed it at the exchange.

Quote:do you get lots of clicks etc on you phone line?

You may not notice it, but it could still be a bad line all the same. I had no noise at all that I could hear, the software showed it to be very bad.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2007 11:16PM
Last week we had the unusual no phone but the broadband was working. Still they had a go at putting the fault on us.

After finding a fault at the exchange and another in the junction box outside the house he wanted in for a hat trick of my internal lines.

Quote:You see our equipment shows a short in your house.

Ah but now you have fixed your exchange my phone works and if my house phone wiring had a short in it how come the Broadband worked all the time.

Quote:It's a technical thing sir.

Ah yes then my degree in electronics may come in handy then....

He did his test and left. I am convinced it was the find a fault in customers house and we can charge trick.

About every 10th heavy rainfall the phones go. strange BT never notice this Smile
jakabout 15 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2007 8:22AM
Weird... last week we had the same problem, if the phone was working the broadband dropped out. If the phone rang even, the bb dropped. Then it all magically got fixed (I'd guess our more vociferous neighbours had a word with BT).

Last time I phoned BT I spend nearly two hours on the phone (they had phoned me back thank gawd) while they told me AGAIN and AGAIN that the fault was with my set up despite the fact that it's been the same for years and nothing had been changed except for the odd microfilter.... Eventually after doing some "advanced" diagnostic tests (from India) they discovered a "condition" with the line. Oddly enough, the bb was back within the hour.

I couldn't go through that again Wink
18 Dec 2007 10:13AM
Thanks for your comments everyone.

Simon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.